Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-i2i-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
UK
Hi, just got back from the apple store with my girlfriend with our new macbook air. She's at university so we bought it using her id card for the discount.

Unfortunately when we returned home we realised we've been overcharged nearly £200. I think this is down to the guy in the store charging her as if she was at school rather then in Higher education.

Anyway, here we are with our new computer and I'm not even sure if we should open it - kinda spoiling our first day fun. Does anyone know if Apple accept opened returns if we are unable to get them to give us the refund for the amount they've overcharged us? Thanks in advance

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
So phone the store you bought it at and ask them for the $200 discount...might be able to just give student id and your credit card # over phone...worth a try,rather then having to go back in...

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
You are fine as long as you have the receipt you're good for 14 days, so say you opened it played around and didn't want it you could return in 13 days say and get a refund. Point is if you took it back and they said they couldn't offer you this refund you could say ok, ill get a refund then purchase it again making sure the discount is applied.

To be honest you won't have a problem, go and explain and you will be sorted!! Open up the machine. your are fine!! 14 days remember

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
You may not have gotten the free 3 year warranty either (UK Higher Education National Agreement Warranty). Definitely check that too.

-i2i-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
UK
Thanks for all your help. Bit the bullet and we decided to open her up, writing this on it as we speak. We opted to pay for the applecare as I found it made things simpler whilst I was at university as half the apple staff didn't seem to know about the free warranty. They did charge her £140 rather then the £40 she was meant to pay on that though.

The store is closed, so I'll call tomorrow and see what they say, store is a good 30 minute drive away so hopefully don't need to go in.

Has been the first time I've ever had a bad experience in an apple store. The guy really didn't seem like he knew what he was doing, typing in her student number 4 times and even having one earphone on to listen to his iPod...

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Thanks for all your help. Bit the bullet and we decided to open her up, writing this on it as we speak. We opted to pay for the applecare as I found it made things simpler whilst I was at university as half the apple staff didn't seem to know about the free warranty. They did charge her £140 rather then the £40 she was meant to pay on that though.

The store is closed, so I'll call tomorrow and see what they say, store is a good 30 minute drive away so hopefully don't need to go in.

Has been the first time I've ever had a bad experience in an apple store. The guy really didn't seem like he knew what he was doing, typing in her student number 4 times and even having one earphone on to listen to his iPod...

Wow. That does not sound like any experience I have ever had at an Apple store. I have used Apple for service a few times over the last 3 years and have always been overly impressed by the great service I received.

-i2i-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
UK
Just rand them up and they said that they've changed their HE discount and that the online price is different to the store price. I really think this is just a case of a terrible store as I bought two Macs while I was at university and this was never the case. They claim it's due to the backtoschool promotion...

Jonesy135

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2012
Bedfordshire, UK
Just rand them up and they said that they've changed their HE discount and that the online price is different to the store price. I really think this is just a case of a terrible store as I bought two Macs while I was at university and this was never the case. They claim it's due to the backtoschool promotion...

i have been looking into all of this recently as im going to get my first macbook (probably the 13" air) in time for uni in september.

online applecare is £48 so you were deffinatly over charged.

if they wont give you the discount in store maybe reorder it online, and return the one you have before the 14 days??

if you want to check the what the prices should be with the Uni discount try Here It will tell you how to open the a Uni specific discount page... ive found this really handy for pricing up my wish list as i havent yet joined the uni.

also regarding the warrenties and the UK Student Discount give This Macrumors.com Thread a read. i found it clarified it all for me really well.

hope this helps!

EDIT: also, you should the the £70 app store voucher on top of the discount (i believe)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.