Overcharging Battery causing operating issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kindeller, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Kindeller macrumors newbie

I've been using my Macbook to extensive amounts over the past month or two Where its been charged or in the socket at 100% battery at almost all times. With increasing frequency i have been seeing a major decrease in how well its been able to process and perform generally. Recently I have been getting a lockup and freezing forcing me to terminate the computer using the power on/off button. For some strange reason, I decided about 30mins ago after a lock up to remove my adapter after which it instantly started to respond unlocking itself and returning to almost full function.

Could it be possible that overcharging the battery for this extended amount of time is effecting the performance of the computer and its cores? (i've noticed the performance dropping when the cores start to raise in how much they are working)

It is possible this is a coincidence but i thought it was worth asking anyway. I think i'm going to have to take it down to my local Mac store if it continues.

Spec:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Many thanks,
    Aaron

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My MBP, MBAir, and MB have all been hooked up almost 24/7 and I've never had issues as you've described. My current MBP purchased in February '09 has 3 cycles on it, so I'm plugging in all the time.....

Take it in to the Apple Store....

3. Kindeller thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it was a long shot to begin with ^^ :D

Will do thanks anyway ^^

4. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

Taking it to the Apple store is not a bad idea. There is a strong probably that Apple will want you to do a "fresh" install. This may or may not solve the problem and I would leave it as a last resort action.

Lockup is not to be tolerated and you may be able to see what is happening if you start monitoring the system using the Activity Monitor. Leave it running in one of your spaces and check it fairly often; note your usual CPU state and the heavy using applications. Also, monitor "All Processes". When you notice that the machine is starting to "act up", look to see what process is abnormal (and if you are lucky one will be using most of the resources and you can readily identify the source of the problem).

Neil

5. Kindeller thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice it's still playing up more than it was when i got it but i'll try and monitor the situation beforehand see if i can do something about it before resulting to taking in.

(Second time i've had to get it taken in to apple for a problem last time it was airport >.> so if there's anything i can do to fix it id like to be able to try first) :D