Overcharging?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marty1990, Jul 12, 2012.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

Can it be done? I put it on charge over night then head out the next day forgetting to unplug it before I leave the house.

2. fs454 macrumors 65816

Absolutely not. Overcharging is a very distant thing of the past.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If your iPad could and did overcharge YOU would know it (if you lived).:D

4. reppans macrumors member

No Li-ion chemistry becomes unstable resulting in explosion or flame venting if overcharged or over discharged - as you can imagine, manufacturers will avoid this at all costs and have built in circuitry to prevent either.

However, you can great extend the life, or charge cycles, of your battery if you undercharge it (<100%).

5. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Nope, it stops when full, then begins to trickle charge as needed.

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

My iPad 2 is always plugged in and I have never seen it go below 100%. :)

7. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

Once it's fully charged, it enters what's known as trickle mode, where it will charge t 100 and discharge to 95% and continually just do that till you unplug it.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

not possible & is actually recommended to plug it whenever you can to have better battery life.

9. Alec Shaw macrumors newbie

No you can not overcharge the batteries. They are protected against overcharging. If you charge more than that, you could harm the longevity of the battery.

10. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I hope you don't mind me asking, but why do you do this? Some of the best features of the iPad are its 10-hour battery life and great portability. Seems like a massive waste to keep it plugged in all the time.

Also, not letting the battery drain regularly is not good for battery health (although I guess you're not concerned about that, since you keep it plugged in anyway).

11. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Got a reference for that?

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

I do it more for convenience as I place my iPad on top of my desktop gaming computer and there's an outlet close by that's why it's plugged in all the time.

Yeah I suppose it's probably not good for the battery and i'll need to shake myself of leaving it plugged in. :)

13. dbrewster macrumors member

If I were to keep my iPad plugged in, won't it promote battery longevity since my battery cycles will be minimized?

14. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1399885

There is also a link to battery university that has some useful info. The link is in the above thread.

15. cynics macrumors G3

Just for reference. Idevices, and all devices with lithium ion batteries do not trickle charge. A trickle charger would be something you keep on a lead acid battery that doesn't get used a lot like a motorcycle, boat etc.

Trickle charge is a drop in voltage, so if you have a 12volt lead acid battery it will "trickle" 2 volts or so to keep the battery topped off. Trickle charger on a lithium ion battery would damage it quickly. In lieu of trickle chargers the battery tops off, stops charging, sits and discharges and at a certain point the charger is allowed to send voltage through ago. Its either full on or full off....

16. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Fair enough. :) But yeah, your iPad is probably desperate to go exploring. :p