overclock 2008 mac pro.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macpropro80, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 8core mac pro. I want to push my cpus from 2.8ghz to 3ghz or even 3.2ghz. How do I overclock my mac pro? The CPU's are overclockable just I cant find any way to actually overclock them. The CPUS run at 32C under load so I know heat wont be an issue.

Thanks

2. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

Google zdnet clock. I've never used it, but I read a fair bit, and supposedly it's designed to not alter any electrical settings, preventing your RAM/CPU from burning out or suffering electrical erosion. There's more than one failsafe built in, as well, but I can't recite them. All I remember is, I'm so sold. Decide for yourself.

3. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I'm wondering if you could see the difference in cinebench or xbench?

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I tried this this application a couple of times and it has to be said, it's a fun little utility but it not really that useful. I've managed to push my 2.8 to 3.07 and it worked for some applications and made others less stable.

On mine, Photoshop launched fine. However opening up a 700Mb file cause the entire system to halt!! :eek::eek:

IMHO, the best way to get more speed from your machine is to replace the default processors but unless your doing work which required lots of mathematical calculations, it's not really worthwhile.