Overclock 8600m GT how to?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mariux.mac, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Mariux.mac macrumors member

Hello im tryng to overclock my 8600m GT im using boot camp drivers 2.1 and nTune or rivertuner. and im overclocking to 475/700 but in 3dmark06 im only getting ~4200, defoult no overclocking ~4100. maybe im duing some thing wrong please help :(

2. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

there is a gigantic thread arouind here, try a search :)

4. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

You need to overclock further to raise your score higher.

I'm going to be Captain Obvious now and begin a lecture :D

<Captain Obvious> Overclocking notebooks is not recommended, especially with Apple notebooks where Apple takes great care in designing there laptops to be as thin and quiet as possible while maintaining maximum performance with respect to maintaining that thinness and quiet appeal. They do this by often times underclocking there Graphics which sometimes share the heatsink with the CPU (As on Macs the Graphics are often not utilised as much as the CPU and therefore underclocking them to provide the CPU with maximum performance for Apple is the right way to do things). When you start overclocking your GPU you increase the heat on that Heatsink and operate your Notebook in a way it wasn't intended by Apple.

Side-effects? The CPU may throttle itself from the excess heat being generated by the GPU. The GPU may also throttle itself, the metal could begin to warp or the Heatsink could warp and damage your laptops motherboard or itself. In the case of the early edition MacBooks the Heatsink sometimes got so hot it would warp out of shape and short a connection on the motherboard that made the laptop switch off (Apple since corrected that flaw)

So if you are going to overclock your Graphics processor or your CPU for that mater be careful there are serious risks to consider. </Captain Obvious away!>

5. Mariux.mac thread starter macrumors member

i done it, overcloked whit atitool 600/800. newest drivers from laptop2go and score ~5600 :) rezolution 3dmark06 1280x854

6. Kaupa macrumors regular

Hi,
    is there a way to get higher clocks into the bios of the videocard? Because there seems to be no tool to overclock in OS X. For the 1600 graphics there was Graphicsaccelerator, but that only works for the previous gerneration.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't overclock; I almost killed last computer.