Overclock Intel Macs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Darkroom, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

is it possible to overclock the processors on intel macs? if so, is this done thru Terminal? what increase could you possible do, say with a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, without damaging the computer.

2. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

Most overclocking techniques are not done through software running above the OS, although there may be some utilities that can modify the bios/firmware/efi settings while booted. It is unlikely that there are many for OS X if it can be done in software, so you would have to boot into windows.

Generally one has to change things like jumpers on the motherboard controlling CPU voltages, FSB speed, clock multiplier, etc. This is sometimes done in the BIOS dependent on the motherboard.

I don't know what you're hoping to achieve, i.e. this is an experiment, you actually need a faster processor for a particular task, etc. but I would advise against trying this for anything but academic reasons, as a few hundred Mhz increase is unlikely to noticeably speed up most tasks.

With that said, this page details a significant overclock of a core 2 duo chip:
    http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000697.html

Note that operating a chip above it's rated speed may or may not work at all. Chances are you will be able to go at least 5-10%, but anything above that is subject to instability. You will have to be more concerned about cooling the CPU, and accuracy of computations performed. The page above relates a successful overclock of 25%+ over the original clock speed. Even if you bought all of the same components as were detailed there, the chip you get may not be capable of the same results.

The bigger issue is that on most macs are so locked down via locks on the CPUs themselves, apple's EFI, etc. that you are unlikely to be able to do this on a mac at all. This forum post elsewhere discusses this more:
    http://forums.macnn.com/65/power-mac-and-mac-pro/305454/mac-pro-overclocking/

-Lee