Overclock issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dukebound85, Dec 24, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

didn't know exactly what forum this belonged in so my apologies

I have a pc with a q6600 chip. I had been running it oc'd for a long while. Now just recently, the computer can't seem to remember its oc settings

For instance, I will go in bios, change the settings and restart. The computer will then proceed to load but then restart itself again and have the default bios settings enabled

Any idea on why this is happening?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

There's a slim chance that it can't handle the OC anymore and it's resetting even back into the BIOS.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

what would cause that?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If I try certain overclocks on my Q6600 it'll attempt to POST only to have everything set back to stock.

5. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

im just curious how i used to not have an issue with it and now its being a pain lol

2.4ghz seems too slow after living at 3 esp with video tasks argh

is it a mb problem?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's a fine thread between the processor and motherboard. It'll be more art then science.

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

hmm it wouldnt even stay on if i downclocked it

i saw there are circle disk batteries on the motherboard. could those be the culprit if they are dead?

8. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Possibly, although usually the indicator of a dead battery is that it will keep all of your settings until the computer is shutdown, then reset to default upon the next startup. I've never heard of dead batteries causing a computer not to POST.

So you put in your settings in the BIOS, restart, and then the computer restarts itself during POST? And it doesn't finish the POST? Could be that your CPU or Northbridge or something is starting to fail (too much voltage?). On the other hand, you might not be giving it enough voltage. Chips fail over time...fact of overclocking.

What mobo?

9. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

shuts down after the logo screen

gigabyte ds3l

didnt alter the cpu voltage when i oc'd it, mere changed the frequency from 9 x 266 to 9 x 323

temps were ok after i prime 95'd it for a day as well

however, works just fine on stock settings which is what i have had to resort to

10. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

try moving it back up slowly, like 3MHz at a time.

Also, I don't know if this is an issue on Intel systems (never OCed one before), but on my old AMD system, the PCI and PCIe bus frequencies were tied to the FSB. If those got more than a few MHz out of line, the system refused to POST. There was a setting somewhere though that locked it to 200MHz. Like I said, I don't know if that's an issue on Intel systems, but see if you can find anything similar in your BIOS.

11. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Ok I got it to work again. I read online that I should disable C1E and EIST, Legacy USB Storage Detection, and CIA2

Does that make sense?

Also, a quick question

Originally my stock voltage was 1.2125 volts. I have not changed this. However, I did alter it from 266x9 to 375x8 (ran it a while at 323x9) and I also did the ram multiplyer to 2.0 to 775 (Ihave ddr2 at 800 so a little slower)

1) Is that ok?
    2) Will this setup shorten the lifespan of the cpu/ram? I didn't increase the voltage for either so I can't see a substantial temp increase

3) If anyone else has the q6600 with g0 stepping, under idle, my temps are about 48-50. Under load they are at around 63 for cores 1 and 2 and 60 for cores 3 and 4. I am using Temperature Monitor as the sensor app

4) Am I ok to assume that temperature is the main thing I have to worry about and as long as my temps are ok, the oc settings shouldnt have an ill effect on my computer's life?

Thanks!

edit: here is the specs of my board
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337

I see that the fsb is 1600(OC)/1333Mhz

Am I ok with 775 ram that results in a 1500Mhz fsb? I would assume so

12. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

I would try to bump up the voltage on the cpu with oc settings?

make sure your cpu fan is not full of dust...

13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

most forms of overclocking reduce the life of the CPU (usually by around a third but that can vary so so much) however it shouldnt effect the RAM at all, im not sure where you got that from, i overclock my Q660 the same as you do and i havn't noticed any problems, but i use a custom bios so maybe thats why. I also have to use a very powerful CPU fan to keep the Q660 cool enough when im rendering images and doing other CPU intensive tasks, the stock one just wasnt doing it for me, it kept running up to 90C and crashing.

14. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Thanks for the reply. I will say that the idle loads temps without the overclock ate pretty much exactly the same as idle/load temps with the overclock (since I didn't change the volatage) I have ran the osx equivalent of prime95 for a good 10hrs and no errors so far

Due to this, should I have to worry that the cpu will degrade faster becasue the overclock? or is temperature not the only thing to be concerned about? Keep in mind I have kept the pci-speed at 100mhz

Also:

Does system info not work under right in vmware? I ask as my computer is OC'd to 3 ghz and when running Fusion, it says its at 3.38ghz.

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

if your cpu isnt getting hotter than it should be, which is actully really suprising, then its life isnt going to be shortened.

16. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

The more legacy stuff you can disable the more stable it becomes. I didn't need serial-par-IR or any extra things I never used in the bio's on.

Now days I just buy a fast CPU and move on. But I sure learned alot about MB, FSB, and chip numbers.

17. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

so far i havent been able to tell the differences between 2.4 and 3 under idle and load conditions in terms of temps. i guess it depends on if i can trust temperature monitor for reporting the temps?

so while the cpu's life may not be shortened, what about any other components due to increased fsb? I ask as in cinebench, my 8800gt scored substantially higher at the 3ghz cpu setting than the 2.4 ghz. or is this simply because i was using a lower fsb before and my board can handle up to 1600?

18. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

Heat is the number one killer of OCing. Your scores will always go up when you bump up the FSB. You have to find that magic setting that works and will keep running. Why I said the numbers on the CPU box mean something. Some are better then others.

When you do find that setting write all that stuff down. When you flash your BIO's it will change.

Just remember peeps will post there scores bragging about how high they are and never tell you what applications or hardware they installed. Most were just plain OS and they benchmark that alone.

19. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats good to know as i havent changed any of the voltages

i was just worried that the increased fsb may shorten component life even though the temps havent changed much. though i havent been able to monitor the gpu temp

so far, this has been stable running the osx equiv of prime 95 for many hrs and no errors with max temps hitting about 63-60 per core on stock cooling

20. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

Most MB's are solid state caps these days, and well made. In all my days of OCing stuff I only popped one CPU and it was a AMD.

You can add a good CPU fan or even add a "If they still make them" a Pelter cooler. I once had a 8000rpm fan that was so loud you could hear it 100ft away.

Stick one of these in there.
    http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=6

21. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

ill look into getting a cooling fan. in the meantime, i think my max temps of just shy of 65 are ok though with my q6600 with the go stepping

i used this as a guide
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

does anyone know what Temperature monitor measures? TCase? or TJunction? Im just curious if the temp i see is the case, in which case it would be in the "warm" area or the tjunction, which it would fall in the "safe" area.

The first image, last entry i believe is for the Q6600 with GO whereas the second image is the Q6600 with B3 stepping

Attached Files:

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Uh...