Overclock macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wraz, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Wraz macrumors regular

Hey there, i have lately been thinking of overclocking my macbook, but i got some questions to begin with.

1. Will this kill my macbook after 1 - 2 years?

2. Is it worth it?, (how many fps will i gain?)

3. Can you do it without using windows? and will it be overclocked on OSX even though i overclock it on windows?

4. How much hotter will my macbook get?

Cheers, hope i get some good answers instead of just no :)

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Can't be done as the CD and C2D have locked multipliers. I guess you could up the FSB but you would soon run into problems.

3. Wraz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for responding, but what does FSB mean?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The front side bus. How the CPU talks to the rest of the logic board. I doubt you could increase more than a percent or two (under Windows) without running into problems. Its just not worth it.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Just to add to what flopticalcube said...

The CPU's clock speed is a function of the front side bus speed, controlled by its multiplier. Since the FSB of your MacBook is 1066mhz and your CPU speed is 2.4ghz, that means the CPU has a multiplier of 2.25. Since that multiplier is fixed from Intel, the only way to overclock is by turning up the FSB speed. The danger here is that you may need faster RAM to cope with the increased FSB frequency as well as the fact that the other hardware/controllers on the logic board may not be able to handle the increased FSB speeds.

6. Bad Cyborg, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

Bad Cyborg macrumors newbie

Sorry to dredge up an outdated thread, but I came here thru Google, and the answers given here are from people who don't care much about overclocking, as is usually the case with Mac users. (Since there isn't any overclocking tool for OS X on MacBooks, the grapes have to be sour.) Anyway, on to the questions.

1. Will this kill my macbook after 1 - 2 years?

Probably, if you don't know how to care for your MacBook after overclocking. Precautions have to be made so your MacBook won't fry after prolong OC. Then again, your MacBook might just fry anyway without OCing thanks to dust building up inside.

2. Is it worth it?, (how many fps will i gain?)

Very. See thread.

3. Can you do it without using windows? and will it be overclocked on OSX even though i overclock it on windows?

No to both. MacBook users could use something like Nvidia System Tools, but on Windows only. The fact is, pro MacBook users usually have deep enough pockets even in this economy to shell out for top end machines, thus negating the need for overclocking.

4. How much hotter will my macbook get?

See thread.