Overclock MBP late 2008?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eLbanana, Nov 1, 2008.

1. eLbanana macrumors member

Hi,

I will get my first mac the next few days. Its MBP @ 2,53Ghz.
    Can i overlock the GPU (9600GT) in Windows to get better gaming performance? I dont care if it get little bit hotter or the battery wouldnt last that long cause i would use Windows only at home.

Thank you

EDIT: NOBODY KNOWS?

2. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

I dont know the answer to your question....but I will say that I cannot find a fan control software to use in windows to keep the temps down. While the fan will kick in when gaming it is nice to keep them going after you finish to cool it down. An remember the bottom of the case is a giant heat sink!!

I do heavy 3D renderings in windows that uses a background rendering engine, but it doesn't kick in the fan an it gets very hot. If anyone does know of a fan control software for windows please let me know!!

3. eLbanana thread starter macrumors member

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Doesn't nvidia ntune allow you to do that?

5. m1stake macrumors 68000

It's called RivaTuner.

It's called RivaTuner.

RivaTuner > nTune

6. eLbanana thread starter macrumors member

Is it dangerous? I OC my PC without any problems. I heard apple underlock their GPUs, so it shouldnt be that dangerous to OC the 9600gt a lil bit to get about 10% better frames. What is the max temperature for the macbook pro?

7. Mackan macrumors 65816

I think there is no room for overclocking the 9600M GT in this MacBook Pro. The MBP gets very hot after a while, particulary in Windows, and people have even reported it to shut down. So... no, I think there is no room at all for overclocking, it would just for certain cause overheating.

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Laptops are usually really bad for OC'ing.
    Even if you manage to bump the speed on the GPU with 10% clockwise you wouldn't get 10% better FPS, since there are other factors too.
    Also is 10% gain worth it? From 10 to 11 fps or 30 to 33? :p

9. ibd macrumors member

I disagree; The early 2008 model overclocks fine with temps in the 85 celsius range. Try to use the newest drivers if you don't want to overclock, they already provide a boost of over 10% in some cases.

You might want to tri AtiTool if rivatuner or nvidia tools don't work.