Overclock Mini's 6630m possible?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bmw3wags, Sep 24, 2011.

1. bmw3wags macrumors member

Hello I'm am wondering if it is possible to overclock the 6630m, from my understanding it is actually just a under-clocked 6750/6770 right? So wouldn't it be possible/safe to overclock it to those speeds?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, it's based on the same chip as e.g. AMD 6770M. Some degree of OC is definitely possible but 6630M most likely has lower voltage, meaning that it may not be able to achieve clocks similar to its big brothers. OCing is limited to Windows anyway.

3. bmw3wags thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the clarification, I do have Windows 7 Pro on my mini but how would I go about overclocking it? I'm only a casual gamer so I was just looking to get a slight boost in performance if possible but it's not really a big deal.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MSI AfterBurner should work.

5. bmw3wags thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I appreciate it.

6. Mackan macrumors 65816

Did you have any progress in overclocking the 6630M? I've done a search and didn't find any overclocking results, which is a bit surprising given that this 6630M comes with GDDR5 and is based on the 6750M chip. It should have great potential.

7. bmw3wags thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I actually did get it overclocked and I used the guide for the 6750 that's somewhere on the forums.... You will want to make sure if you overclock though that you use smcfan control!

8. VeganHipster macrumors regular

Any more info on this? Clock speeds? Frame rate comparisons? How smooth the overall process was? I really want the mac mini and if I can OC that baby to run SWTOR on high settings than forget that hackintosh I was going to build!

9. Mackan macrumors 65816

How much were you able to overclock it? Did you try change the voltage as well?

10. MadDragon1846 macrumors regular

Hate to think how noisey it is. My mini's cpu gets to around 90c while gaming, so I installed fan control to get it down to around 75c and the fan goes crazy!. :eek: (I have given up using that, and am back to my toasty 90c gaming to keep my sanity).

Theres no way I'd want to increase the heat in my mini, and have to put up with the crazy fan...

11. Yamcha macrumors 68000

I wouldn't recommend overclocking anything on a Mac Mini.. I suspect the temperatures at stock will already be quite high..