Overclock...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by guitarmaster18, Apr 21, 2007.

1. guitarmaster18 macrumors regular

guitarmaster18

Is it possible to overclock a Powermac G4 Dual 800 MHz? I upgraded it to be dual.

Thanks.

2. guitarmaster18 thread starter macrumors regular

guitarmaster18

Fine, I know very well how to do it, and I am going to do it. So, yeah, if there is some compelling reason why I shouldent then tell me. I am of course going to buy a bigger heatsink and fan. I read that the performance can be raised approx. 40%, but I will test higher. If the processor fails, then I will go lower. Luckly, clocks are not that expensive.

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

there was a thread on emac cpus being underclocked and how to solder the jumpers to bring it up, but that prob wont be of much help, guying a new cpu / daughter board is probably a lot easier, but if ya doing because you can then good luck, your have to let us know how it goes.

4. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

Just not a good call; buy an upgrade. They go all the way to dual 1.8 Ghz now. Better yet, if you want a modest performance jump and are not emotionally attached to your G4, sell it. With the the money you make from the sale; turn around and buy a nice G5 system. It is cheaper than upgrading your current machine and/or overclocking it and turning it into an oversized paperweight.

How can I be so sure? I speak from experience.