Overclocking 9600M?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zorahk, Nov 18, 2008.

1. zorahk macrumors 6502

Hey guys. There are some threads going on laptopvideo2go where people have overclocked 9600M GTs to essentially bring their performance up to a 9700M GT. I was wondering if anyone has tried overclocking the new unibody MBPs, although I assume not since the vista drivers are so horrible that they run idle at around 69C in the GPU

2. Beklim macrumors newbie

Have you tried gaming with the 9600 acitvated on a MBP?
    I have and I'm actually switching to a Macbook instead of a Pro. The noise from the fans are just too loud for me to accept it so I wouldn't even want to think what they(two fans) would sound like overclocked at full RPM.
    Even below 5000rpm the noise is unacceptable.

Using the 9400m the fans top out at somewhere around 4000rpm.

My temperatures btw is kept below 70 degrees celsius while gaming and fans turned up pretty high so overclocking should be possible.

3. Titfink macrumors newbie

4000? do you live in a desert or something?

4. six.four macrumors 6502

Overclocking via software is easy and relatively safe if you know what you're doing. Although it's not really discussed much here at macrumors, there are other forums that talk more in depth about software OC'ing your MBP. All you need to do is keep an eye on your temps and check for stability/artifacts.

You can d/l stable drivers from laptopvideo2go and use one of the plethora of software OC utilities available: Ntune, rivatuner, and ATItool to name a few. Considering the 9600m is a die shrunk 8600, you should have a nice amount of headroom to work with.

5. smokedog macrumors regular

Good way to fry your MBP:rolleyes: I'm trying to under clock it, as it over heating.

6. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

agreed, mine top out at 2500 rpm while working the 9600M GT.

7. Beklim macrumors newbie

This just sound too low compared to others. Is that working as in basically idle or some real work? (gaming, graphics/cpu intensive work)

I believe my MBP would over heat if I force the fans to stay at 2500rpm.

Thinking of taking my comp to a serve center and have the thermal paste replaced to see if it helps.