Overclocking and applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by digitalpencil, Sep 23, 2007.

1. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Does anyone know if apple could tell if I overclocked my GPU?
    Also, will this void my applecare should my logic board die on me?

Thanks

2. digitalpencil thread starter macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

How would they know if the mem/core speeds are restored to factory default on boot?

3. bartelby macrumors Core

They probably wouldn't. But is it worth the risk?

4. digitalpencil thread starter macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Yes, considering how under-clocked the card is.
    Hoepfully, if i'm careful with the temps and correctly gauge where the ceiling is, i'll be able to get more juice (and fps) out of it whilst ensuring stability.
    Plus, it won't be a permanent OC, i'll just run it on the windows side.
    Just wanted t know whether my ass was covered should the worst happen. :D

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

If your logic board were to die, I would imagine that it might be difficult to go in and restore to the original specs...

6. bartelby macrumors Core

As this post says:

Your ass wouldn't be covered.

7. digitalpencil thread starter macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

8. needlz macrumors member

- How is it actually possible to overclock a Macbook Pro (on OS X)?
    - How do you reset the logic board (SMC Reset?)?
    - If the logic board gets damaged, how can they read the values out (remember, it's damaged)
    - And, since you're overclocking the GPU anyways..the logic board shouldn't get damaged, right?

Thanks for any hint!

Cheers

9. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

You guys no offence don't really know how GPU overclocking works but basically the Host operating system (OS X or Windows or whatever your booting the machine on) sets the Clocks after the system has booted up. The overclock is not stored in the Motherboard (Logic Board) or the GPU or anything along those lines.

Unlike CPU overclocking (Which can be done in software) which is usually done via the Motherboards built in Overclocking features, GPU overclocking is divided in to two camps. Flashing the card with firmware that will set the clocks higher and the Host OS using Software. The Software method is preferred as if the Overclock can no longer be sustained for some reason you are not bricking your GPU.

What all this means is, all he has to do to hide his overclock is make sure that his OS is not set to automatically apply the overclock upon boot up (He has to launch an application and set it manually or use an Apple script or something along those lines). So when Apple change the board and boot the system up they don't notice the GPU being clocked higher upon login. It's just that simple.

And again I don't mean to offend either of you but you don't have a grasp on GPU overclocking. Having said all this I would never recommend overclocking a GPU in a notebook especially not in an Apple one that has a very confined thermal vision as defined by Apple and they purposely underclock a lot of their shipping GPUs. And yes if Apple ever did find out they would probably void your warranty.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

LOL goodluck finding a program that will let you OC your GPU in OSX.

of course, there are XP overclocking programs. as long as you reset the values each time you are going to restart i cant see a problem with that.(its what i do).

it will of course void your applecare.

11. needlz macrumors member

Any updates on this? Does anyone know of a OS X which lets you overclock the GPU or do I really need to install Windows for it?

Cheers

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i have only ever found a MP overclocking tool, and that was for the 2007 ones i think (and only for specific GPUs). AFAIK it cant be done.