overclocking GeForce 8600M GT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sinser, Jun 11, 2011.

1. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Hi,
    is it possible to overclock the 8600M GT of my macbook pro, 2.5 ghz C2D ?
    What tools should I use ? How much should I overclock ? Will it work only under windows ? Will it work at software or hardware level ?
    Sorry for all these questions but I have 0 knowledge about that.

Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You could try Afterburner or Trixxx but they are only for Windows. It's not possible to OC in OS X at the moment. Raise the clocks a bit and see what the temps are and how things work. Then raise them more if everything is fine.

3. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I use Nvidia System Tools for overclocking my 320M. Which LubbosFanControl to control the fans so it doesnt get too hot.

4. sinser thread starter macrumors 6502a

sinser

I tried Nvidia System Tools, but under performance the option for overclocking doesn't even appear.

I also tried the riva tuner but it says that my GPU is not supported, so i was scared to try it.

Have not tried yet the other tools suggested by hellhammer

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

I strongly suggest you do not overclock that GPU, they have a known production defect where they all eventually fail due to a bad die. Overclocking will cause excess heat and more heat cycling which will only make that happen faster.

Even though they are still covered by an extended warranty due to a class action suit against nVidia, the hassle of having to turn your computer in for a full logic board repair just isn't worth the 3 or 4 fps increase you can expect from overclocking it(they aren't very stable at higher clock speeds)