Overclocking GPU graphiccelertator

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Appleboy1717, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Appleboy1717 macrumors regular

Hey,

So, I was going to get a new graphics card, but thought I would play around overclocking the one I had. If it blows i'll just get the one I was expecting to get anyway.
    So, I have the stock 5200fx.
    I downloaded graphiccelerator. Has anyway used it?
    Stock it was runnning 300 core frequency and 275 memory.
    I out it at 325/300. What do you all think?? Too much too little, anyway done it??? I know it does not have a fan which is why I did not do it a lot, but I really have never done any overclocking so not really sure what I should do.
    Thanks,

~Teal

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

It's not too much, provided that you've got proper cooling.

However, even if you'd push the clock speeds to 5GHz, that card will still suck!
    It's simply not worth it to overclock that card, you won't notice any difference from 300 to 325MHz besides maybe some freezes.

3. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright.....freezes??? You were saying it was not too much, does overclocking it at all make it freeze?

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

You probably can not overclock that card enough to actually notice.

5. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

You think so? Well would the overclock I did hurt anything? Or can I go more and try it out. Curious if anyone else has tried this.

6. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

fx5200? why waste your time overclocking, it's like the difference between a snail and a turtle.

7. Sipheren macrumors regular

Sipheren

Thats giving him hope, :)

The 5200FX is a **** card, giving it 25 more MHz on the Core and 25 on the Memory will do nothing, and I mean nothing.

If your really set on OCing it, get a better cooling solution for it, but again, even if you do manage to get it running 2x faster, its still going to be slower then a 9800PRO.

Cheers

8. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, yeah I know its a slow bad card..I just thought I would mess with it before getting a new one. I do not NEED a faster card, so thought if I could make this one even a tad faster that would be fine. All I do is watch movies, internet and homework on this machine. I have a game on it, but rarely play it.
    Well is an overclock number that would make a difference? I'm not trying to make a new card here, just thought I could make something a little better...and it takes like 30 seconds in the graphiccellerator program so it doesn't take much time. Plus, I like messing around with things.
    Thanks for the input guys.
    anyone else on here overclocked this card or another one?? how much do you overclock?

9. Sipheren macrumors regular

Sipheren

If you really want to do it, then just keep making 5MHz increments until the card starts to artifact. If you can get 50-100MHz clock increase on the GPU and 100-200MHz on the Memory you may get yourself a frame or to extra :)

Cheers

10. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, figured what I would do is load call of duty 2 on the computer and put it on the best graphics it could handle and then turn the card up and see if I could make the game any better...turn the graphic higher.

I'll test it and report back.
    Still though, has anyone overclocked a card on here?
    Thanks,

~Teal

11. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Moi.

12. Sipheren macrumors regular

Sipheren

Yeah I had a play with it when I first got my Mac, it just crashed a lot, no real point to it.

13. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

How high did you get it to? overclocking wise?

14. Sipheren macrumors regular

Sipheren

Ah, it was a while ago now, I don't think it went very high, like maybe 50MHz over. The cooling on the card is very poor for this type of thing and it over heats and starts artifacting very easily.

15. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, thats what I just did.
    its at 350/325 which is 50 over on each and it seems to be running fine so far. Just encoded some video, and will open a game later to try and heat it up and see if it is ok. One thing i did do is I used Xbench before and after and I got 10 more points after overclocking. seems pretty big difference to me.

16. Sipheren macrumors regular

Sipheren

10 points doesn't mean much, take a look at the fps and compare that, or better still, open a game and compare the average fps with that, this will give you a good idea of the performance gain you have achieved.

17. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

My frames per second went from 114.2 to 119.8. I'll load up a game and check it out. Seams decent for a little upgrade. Think 50 over would be bad??
    I'll load up a game in a bit.

18. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so I think my computer got a little warmer with this graphics card overclock. I knew the card would, but not really the whole computer.....
    I am seeing around 112 degrees F from the cpus and 122 from the U3 memory bay and then like 85-89 from the drive bay and stuff.
    Is that roughly normal or on the hot side?

19. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey..so BAD NEWS.
    I was going up slowly and then when I restarted it one of the times it makes a noise and wont finish booting and screen is all pixelated Since it will not finish booting all the way I cannot revert back to stock settings. What can I do from here. Is there a way I can get around it and revert back...erase the computer...or am I SOL and have to buy another card?

20. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Alrighty. So what do you all think of the 9600xt. I know its nothing huge but it comes with the adc and dvi which I need and the other cards come with DVI so I need an adaptor which is not cheap at all. Anyways, this seems to be a lot better than the 5200, and twice the memory.
    Here is the one I was looking at. What do you all think?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-G5-9600XT...o_TV_Cards?hash=item3ca9cf43a3#ht_2451wt_1167

thanks,

~Teal

21. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, thats prolly what I am going to order.
    Is there any way to reset a video card without booting the computer and using the overclock software?
    I got it to boot once, but then it froze....the screen was all pixelated and everything. I would like to be able to reset it though....cause i think the card would work again if it was turned down.

Thanks,

~Teal

22. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

23. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Make me look dumb. lol. It worked!!!! Thanks. I turned it down. I'm running it at 342-305. Works great. Ran it on a game and HD content for 3 hours straight. Is there anyway I can hook up a fan to it? Like in the G5s? IDk if there is another power slot for one. I would like to add some more cooling.

24. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey all.
    Gonna bring this bad from the dead.
    Wanted to report that the FX5200 is still going great with the overclock in place. I am still running it as 345mhz core and 300 memory up from 300/275.
    Again, has anyone else done this to their cards or to the fx5200?
    Anyone added a fan. There is a post over on macmod.com where a guy put on into a G4 and added and fan and overclocked it and it worked great he said.

Anyways, just reporting back.
    I also bumped the ram up to 5gb. I am pretty happy with the machine and its performance.

Teal