Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John878

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Hi Everyone. Just joined and my first thread. About to take delivery of my new and first iMac, specs are:
27"
3.4GHz
16Gb RAM
1Tb Fusion
680MX-2Gb video card

I plan on installing Windows 7 64bit by bootcamp solely for gaming only. What I am hoping to get is a step-by-step guide or document on a proven fail-safe way to install and overclock. I am a complete dummy at this. Have read the thread 680MX Benchmarks but more confused than ever as there was no agreed consensus on best way to do or best OC increase. Can an someone please advise:

1. Partition size required for best gaming experience when installing Windows 7
2. After installed, best way to update all drivers including video card, Direct X(?) and which drivers are needed
3. What services & processes can be stopped to limit CPU usage
4. What fan controller (if needed) & overclocking tool to use
5. How I then proceed to use these tools and the best stable recommended settings

I understand everyone has their own opinion, but there should be a agreed stable process here?

Thanks everyone.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hi Everyone. Just joined and my first thread. About to take delivery of my new and first iMac, specs are:
27"
3.4GHz
16Gb RAM
1Tb Fusion
680MX-2Gb video card

I plan on installing Windows 7 64bit by bootcamp solely for gaming only. What I am hoping to get is a step-by-step guide or document on a proven fail-safe way to install and overclock. I am a complete dummy at this. Have read the thread 680MX Benchmarks but more confused than ever as there was no agreed consensus on best way to do or best OC increase. Can an someone please advise:

1. Partition size required for best gaming experience when installing Windows 7
2. After installed, best way to update all drivers including video card, Direct X(?) and which drivers are needed
3. What services & processes can be stopped to limit CPU usage
4. What fan controller (if needed) & overclocking tool to use
5. How I then proceed to use these tools and the best stable recommended settings

I understand everyone has their own opinion, but there should be a agreed stable process here?

Thanks everyone.

To answer your questions:

1.) The partition size for the best gaming experience should be a partition size that holds your games. If it is too small, then you won't have a good gaming experience since your games won't fit on the drive. That would be sad.

2.) The best way to update the drivers would be to download them. Note, the only driver worth downloading is an updated GPU driver. I recommend not messing with anything else.

3.) Leave this alone.

4.) Leave this alone. If needy, download Lubbo's fan utlity, but note there no specific support for the iMac, though it does work.

5.) Download MSI Afterburner utility.

John878

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for your reply William.

1. Are you able to advise on recommended partition size? I.e. would 400Gb be enough or too much?

2. I thought there was an order to update the drivers for best performance - also are there some beta drivers available for the 680MX I should install?

3. System processes and services, I had my previous PC with Windows XP down to 5 services only. I would have thought I could do similar with Windows 7 - i.e. turn of task manager, internet time syc etc.? As using for gaming only it would seem to me most could be switched off to increase performance.

4 & 5. After downloading MSI Afteburner, then what? As stated I was looking for someone to guide me through this step by step but I appreciate your advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.