Overclocking Intel Iris graphics?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vb7200, Aug 8, 2014.

1. vb7200 macrumors member

I have a 13 inch MacBook Pro with Retina and I was wondering if there was anyway at all to overclock the GPU in it. It's got Intel Iris graphics in it and it isn't really terrible, but I'd like a little more out of it or an FPS boost (I play Diablo III a lot and some other games on Steam) Since it's integrated, things aren't looking bright, and combined with the fact that OS X isn't very overclocking friendly in the first place, then things really aren't looking very well. Could I do it through Bootcamp? And if I can't overclock it, could I at least give it a little more RAM? In System Report it says VRAM 1536 MB so is there any way to bump it up to 2 GB? Thanks

2. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Only unlocked CPUs allow for Intel HD overclocking. This is all done through UEFI/BIOS (if supported) and the Mac platform does not. Sorry.

3. vb7200 thread starter macrumors member

I said Intel Iris not Intel HD. There's a big difference there since Iris is drastically better than HD 3000/4000. Plus, in Macs, they were in older models. The processor is a 2.4 GHz Core i5 (I5-4258U). Would that work?

4. leman macrumors 604

No, you can't overlock it (there might be a possibility in messing with the DSDT, but this requires you to hack your Mac in major ways and I have no idea how to do this or if this is even possible). And more VRAM won't help you. The integrated GPU can direct access to the system RAM so that should not matter anyway. That 1536Mb is the minimum the system is reserving for the GPU purposes.

5. vb7200 thread starter macrumors member

Ohhh I get what you're saying. The newer cpus use turbo boost anyway I think so i might not need to anyway

6. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Umm he never mentioned the HD graphics...

7. ha1o2surfer, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Doesn't matter. Intel HD/Iris. No overclocking available for macs. My HD 4000 is more powerful then an Iris in a mac anyways since it doesn't throttle. :p ok not really lol

But being serious here, if your CPU is loaded even a little while playing a game, the CPU has to balance power between the GPU and CPU so overclocking wont help at all. This is clear if running a Luxmark bench with both the CPU and Iris Pro. It scores pretty terrible on a Mac

8. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Yes I realise all of this. Why am I being taught this lol?

9. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Better to have the facts then just say "no, can't be done" lol even if someone knows the details already, someone reading this may not.

10. leman macrumors 604

Even though you are technically right, virtually every game will be GPU limited on an iGPU, so over clocking will bring clear performance benefits in most cases. So it's not useless at all.

11. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Fair point.