Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Hello All!

I have the iPhone 5.

I was reading on the iPhone wikipedia page the other day and saw that all but the current CPU have been underclocked. At first I wondered if it would be possible to change the clock rate (correct term?) to the normal rate, but then I started to wonder if I could overclock my iPhone 5 to run faster than normal. I have AppleCare+, so if it burns out the CPU early, I can just swap it out at the Apple Store.

FYI to any responding, I know what under/overclocking is, but have no idea how to go about actually changing the clock rate of a CPU.

To summarize: Is it possible to overclock an iPhone 5?

If anyone has any ideas, etc. I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

steiney

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Thanks Applejuiced. Any idea why it's not possible with a jailbroken iPhone? Just because no one has written an app to facilitate it or because it would be damaging to the CPU?

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
No, currently it cannot be done and I doubt it will be an option in the future even with a JB.

If it hasn't been done on the previous phones I bet it will never happen (read) in the near future.

However , it's generally never a good idea if you compare overclocking a laptop to a tower pcs performance. The cooling system on the laptops can most likely never handle it.

Now look at the iPhones size and scrap your idea.

Food for thought.

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate
Thanks Applejuiced. Any idea why it's not possible with a jailbroken iPhone? Just because no one has written an app to facilitate it or because it would be damaging to the CPU?

There is the fact that there is absolutely no need to, nothing on the Iphone 5 right now struggles or at least not to my knowledge. :confused:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

For all these years with JB iphones noone tried to go as far as adjusting CPU clock speeds and probably for very good reasons.
You shouldnt mess with things like that, its not a gaming rig with coolers and such.
Its a phone, I wouldnt risk trying to fry it. The i5 is plenty fast. I can see trying on older and slower iphones but there's only so much you can do with old and outdated hardware. Pushing them to their max is not a good idea IMO.

If it hasn't been done on the previous phones I bet it will never happen (read) in the near future.

However , it's generally never a good idea if you compare overclocking a laptop to a tower pcs performance. The cooling system on the laptops can most likely never handle it.

Now look at the iPhones size and scrap your idea.

Food for thought.

Very well said.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Thanks guys. Yeah, I agree it doesn't need to be overclocked, but it would be nice to have a good speed boost and make everything more snappy. I guess the phone is designed to dissapate only a certain amount of heat, and overclocking it would push the heat levels too high.

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Hello All!

I have the iPhone 5.

I was reading on the iPhone wikipedia page the other day and saw that all but the current CPU have been underclocked. At first I wondered if it would be possible to change the clock rate (correct term?) to the normal rate, but then I started to wonder if I could overclock my iPhone 5 to run faster than normal. I have AppleCare+, so if it burns out the CPU early, I can just swap it out at the Apple Store.

FYI to any responding, I know what under/overclocking is, but have no idea how to go about actually changing the clock rate of a CPU.

To summarize: Is it possible to overclock an iPhone 5?

If anyone has any ideas, etc. I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

steiney

Nope, not possible. Also, I don't know why you would want to introduce more heat in your phone. It's already pretty packed inside.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
For all these years with JB iphones noone tried to go as far as adjusting CPU clock speeds and probably for very good reasons.
You shouldnt mess with things like that, its not a gaming rig with coolers and such.
Its a phone, I wouldnt risk trying to fry it. The i5 is plenty fast. I can see trying on older and slower iphones but there's only so much you can do with old and outdated hardware. Pushing them to their max is not a good idea IMO.

Very well said.

agreed...
butttt from my curiosity, i wonder if it will be more plausible for the ip5 to be over clocked (obviously when its jailbroken)

i know its impossible on the past devices since its CPU speeds are stored on NVRAM when the ipsw is installed.. but since the new one is dynamic on the cpu clock.. maybe there is something outside of the NVRAM that controls it.. whether it be something simple as a plist..or something in the kernel etc. idk. just curious now.

----------

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
agreed...
butttt from my curiosity, i wonder if it will be more plausible for the ip5 to be over clocked (obviously when its jailbroken)

i know its impossible on the past devices since its CPU speeds are stored on NVRAM when the ipsw is installed.. but since the new one is dynamic on the cpu clock.. maybe there is something outside of the NVRAM that controls it.. whether it be something simple as a plist..or something in the kernel etc. idk. just curious now.

----------

Interesting.
I'll let you try it first:)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Overclocking mobile devices can be tricky due to heat concerns. With iOS's ecosystem there really isn't a reason, games for older devices have watered down graphics by default.

On Android you get a choice a lot of the time. High, medium, and low graphics. On a older device high might be choppy as the frame rate drops. Overclocking then helps some. The same applies to emulators for more modern consoles like playstation. On my Xoom (tegra 2) certain Nintendo 64 games had low frame rate at times. Overclocking definitely helped.

I think a lot of people just do it to do it. Setting the highest benchmark is a game all in itself.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I merely wish people would stop thinking of a smart phone as if its a desktop PC.
They hear CPU, memory, etc. and they automatically think its acceptable to compare it to a full computer.

Think this way:
I want to over clock my telephone. Sounds dumb doesn't it? lol

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I think Apple will do it themselves in future updates. It's there for future proof, so something like iOS 8 will run smoothly, and people won't be jumping back to iOS 7 because of their devices getting much slower.

Don't abuse your AppleCare, honestly, that's wrong.

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I ran a fake overclock tweak on my JB'd iP4 a few years back. It didn't actually overclock the phone, but it let you set the speed of the animations so that the phone seemed like it was more snappy (e.g. click a folder and it flashes up immediately, launch an app and *boom* it was open). The difference was literally fractions of seconds, but the effect was noticeable enough to make the phone *seem* faster.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I ran a fake overclock tweak on my JB'd iP4 a few years back. It didn't actually overclock the phone, but it let you set the speed of the animations so that the phone seemed like it was more snappy (e.g. click a folder and it flashes up immediately, launch an app and *boom* it was open). The difference was literally fractions of seconds, but the effect was noticeable enough to make the phone *seem* faster.

FakeClockUp.
One of my favorite cydia tweaks:D
It just speeds up the animations but after a while it makes up the whole thing seems faster and going on stock speed feels slow:D
lol

Drizzle127

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
You can overclock any iPhone up to the iPhone 5 by changing some variables in the
System/Library/SystemConfigurations/PowerManagement.bundle
Looking for
com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefaults.plist

You can tweak some variable to change the frequency the processor is set to..

Not recommended for the casual user but it is possible, I've thought about it on the 5, just have to search through a few more packages to find what I'm looking for

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can overclock any iPhone up to the iPhone 5 by changing some variables in the
System/Library/SystemConfigurations/PowerManagement.bundle
Looking for
com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefaults.plist

You can tweak some variable to change the frequency the processor is set to..

Not recommended for the casual user but it is possible, I've thought about it on the 5, just have to search through a few more packages to find what I'm looking for

This has long been disproven to overclock an iOS device. All that does is force the CPU to not be able to sleep or clock itself down to save battery life when the screen is off. There are no positive gains from doing that. Only a faster draining battery.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
You agree there is no need... then go on to say it'd be nice to be "more snappy".

*sigh*

Just another example of someone who would trade it all for a little more. And would commit fraud (intentional damage is NOT covered by AC+, even if someone could "get away" with the fraud) to replace it after they broke it.

Go buy an Android if all you want are specs. The iPhone has always been about simply working, and never about being king of the spec. mountain (even though it happens from time to time anyway). It's why Apple doesn't bother posting the speed in the first place.

Even if there WAS a reason to do it you'd be stupid to. It WILL shorten the life of the proc. (even if used in moderation), but based on your desire to do it just to do it, I'd bet money you'd push it beyond the limits within minutes anyway. Then you'd be back here asking for help when it breaks/melts.

See all the trouble I saved you?

You're welcome

:D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You agree there is no need... then go on to say it'd be nice to be "more snappy".

*sigh*

Just another example of someone who would trade it all for a little more. And would commit fraud (intentional damage is NOT covered by AC+, even if someone could "get away" with the fraud) to replace it after they broke it.

Go buy an Android if all you want are specs. The iPhone has always been about simply working, and never about being king of the spec. mountain (even though it happens from time to time anyway). It's why Apple doesn't bother posting the speed in the first place.

Even if there WAS a reason to do it you'd be stupid to. It WILL shorten the life of the proc. (even if used in moderation), but based on your desire to do it just to do it, I'd bet money you'd push it beyond the limits within minutes anyway. Then you'd be back here asking for help when it breaks/melts.

See all the trouble I saved you?

You're welcome

:D

I agree. Just get an Android phone if you want that level of customization. There isn't a real need to overclock/undervolt in iOS. Even when the device gets older and apps are too graphically intense for it you'd still need to defeat the App Store and the app programming to run on the device. So not only is everything fighting you to be possible everything is fighting you to be useful.

The only differences I've noticed when overclocking in Android is playstation emulators run smoother with higher FPS. Also noticed better battery life when overclocking AND undervolting. So in iOS its kind of pointless.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Thanks guys. Yeah, I agree it doesn't need to be overclocked, but it would be nice to have a good speed boost and make everything more snappy. I guess the phone is designed to dissapate only a certain amount of heat, and overclocking it would push the heat levels too high.

That would be the 5S...

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

The iPhone 5 is already blazing fast...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.