Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fergusonbk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
So I've read that going to 700/1000 from the stock 600/900 is fine and I've done this many a time for a crysis session, but what are the real limits to the overclocking? What are people safely bumping it up too? Im solely interested in the 8800gt for the new macpros, just trying to squeeze every last drop.
ferguson
2.8 MP
8x1gb ram
lots of illness

u72

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
Rossendale Valley, UK
hi,
I've been messing with overclocking my 8800gt (Manu20feb2008)
using RivaTuner in Vista Ultimate 64
ive got my 3DMark2006 Score from 12260 to 13850 using the stock cooling
it created no problems - so i've ordered the following items :

Thermalright HR-03-GT VGA Cooler

This is a Passive Solution that can be fitted with a fan - I'll see what Mileage
I get with and Without a Fan

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)

Akasa AK-TC TIM Clean CPU & Heatsink Cleaner

this'll give me something to mess with over the Easter Weekend :)
(I've kept my ATI 2600 incase it all goes horribly wrong :D)

i'll post comprehensive results over the weekend inc : MP/GFX heat, MP fan-speed, Clocks etc.

and of course FPS in Crysis, 3dMARK and a few other games,
i'm Prob not going to mess with the BIOS Settings at this stage
or the Voltages (If at all possible on the MacPro)

i'll let you Know and Take some pics of the 'breakdown' and Heatsink Assembly

u72

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
You guys are probably the only two that are actually going to overclock a video card to play games on a Mac.

u72

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
Rossendale Valley, UK
You guys are probably the only two that are actually going to overclock a video card to play games on a Mac.

Well what else is there to do on a rainy easter weekend in the UK? ;)

anyway, why not? :) i'm sure others will be interested to see what
the stock 8800 can do with a little help (and Apple don't seem to want to give
us good Current GFX cards!)
Plus Windows has some great games, I wish I could play them in OSX
but at the moment is just not possible :( so I'll suffer the Vista Desktop
until I Double Click the games Icon! :D

u72

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA

Nah, lot of folks are OC'ing their 8800GT on the Mac... see several older 8800GT threads on this board. And plenty of folks (including myself) have OC'd and replaced the stock coolers on their x1900xt with the previous-gen Mac Pro. It was almost a must with that card, the stock cooler was so bad.

I have my eVGA 8800GT running at 700/1620/1000 with the stock fan. I've heard of people getting up to 730 with air, and above 750 with water cooling. Never seen anyone do passive cooling on this card, though! u72, post pictures when you're done.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Yeh, I know. I'm just kidding, It's just funny to see hard core gamers on a Mac. The people that usually need that kind of extreme gaming just build a gaming PC. Plus if you kill your card, it'll be that much more expensive to get the Mac version vs getting a used PC one on eBay.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I have an eVGA 8800GT flashed with Mac firmware running at 675 core, 1675 shader, and 975 memory with the stock cooler. Everything seems rock solid.

u72:
How much have you clocked your card? I can't wait to hear about how that cooler works out for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.