overclocking the gt330m

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by murdercitydevil, Apr 17, 2010.

1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Just installed bootcamp to try and OC the 330M but having no luck. rivatuner doesn't pick it up and MSI Afterburner does nothing to change the clocks. Can anyone who has had success share what they used?

Currently running bootcamp 3.1, windows 7 pro x32, nvidia driver 196.21 (the stock that came with bootcamp, updating to latest WHQL from nvidia says "no supported hardware")

2. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Seems like this is impossible. Doesn't seem like I'd be able to flash the BIOS file anyway as GPU-Z cannot read it and nibitor doesn't see the card either

3. maximus06 macrumors regular

4. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I'm idly curious about it, but:
    * I don't have my MBP yet.
    * I'm not going to run Windows on it.

As a result, this is basically irrelevant to me except as an idle curiousity; it's nothing I could do anything about, even if it produces amazing results.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

You can't just use the NVIDIA built-in OC utility? If that doesn't work, and other utilities don't work, then is it because the hardware is 'unique'?

6. cathyy macrumors 6502a

No clue how to help this guy. One of the reasons why I'm still using Windows XP is because I have no clue how to overclock in Windows Vista & 7. On XP I still have my good ol' ATITool.

7. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Not under OS X, anyway. :)

8. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Well the nvidia utility doesnt work - it cannot adjust the clocks and the slider does nothing. msi afterburner doesnt work. rivatuner doesnt work. cannot update nvidia drivers as these must be specific to the card and others do not see it as a supported hardware. i think that even if an oc could be achieved, it wouldnt be possible to flash the vga bios anyway. seems like this is all not possible. if someone can prove me wrong, please do.

9. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

anyone have any luck at all? googling hasn't brought up anything useful. there are few topics on the 330m as it is, much less on the MBP, which I believe may have a specific version of this card used only by Apple.

10. kousuke18 macrumors regular

Try evga precision tool or nvidia system tools.

11. tninety macrumors regular

Nvidia System Tools phails at this task.

Seems Apple doesn't want us overclocking :eek: Not confident enough of their own hardware :mad:

12. Quetsche macrumors member

According to this thread : Refresh|Updated MacBook Pro Gaming Benchmarks, Nvidia tools should be working ? :confused::confused::confused:

13. WonkyPanda macrumors regular

WonkyPanda

14. StEvEnGtR macrumors member

StEvEnGtR

If you're talking about ATITool 0.26, XP version works fine under 7 for my very old ATI Radeon X850 PE :)

15. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I may try this, but the big question is this - how does one go about reading/modifying/flashing a BIOS to the gt330? Is it even possible to boot from a usb drive with dos on it?

16. tninety macrumors regular

Anyone got driver signing enforcement off on Windows 7 64? I had this on my desktop but disabled it while it was still Vista 64 before upgrading. Can't do it with the same steps here on clean Win 7 install. :eek:

17. WonkyPanda macrumors regular

WonkyPanda

why would you want to flash the bios?

18. amarcus macrumors 6502

Maybe so that the overclock is permanent and carries through onto to OS X?

19. WonkyPanda macrumors regular

WonkyPanda

I guess that's true but a bit idiotic if you ask me. You'll NEVER get the gaming performance you get on OSX that you would in Windows. Why OC the card (an enthusiast hobby) when you're not even getting optimal performance?

20. tninety macrumors regular

To make graphics performance in OSX a bit better than abysmal? :D

21. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I would assume that a game coded for OS X would run just as well as a game coded for windows. And yes, I would like the OC to carry over into OS X. An alternative would be a software-level OC tool for mac but I have no knowledge of one.

22. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Why would you say that?

Even with crappy Linux drivers from the video card vendors, WoW has often run better for me on Linux than on Windows -- enough that I stopped loading Windows on my WoW machines a few years back.

Turns out that not having a completely sucky operating system actually makes a lot of difference.

Because I'm not about to run Windows on a machine I actually spent money on?

23. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

+1

About the actual GPU though, it is "integrated" (that is, soldered into the logic board), correct? If so, I believe the only way to flash a BIOS to it would be to modify the motherboard bios itself. In PC laptops, I believe this is possible, they often have a section for the GPU (to allocate VRAM and things like that), but with a Mac, this is surely not possible to do. Apple clearly does not want their hardware being messed with. EFI would not allow for such a thing, and there's no way to get a PC BIOS working on a Mac AFAIK. Even if you could, it probably wouldn't make any sense with the hardware differences. I can just imagine using nvflash to flash the GPU Bios to what it thinks is the correct PCI device and end up screwing up some other component entirely.