Overclocking, undervolting, etc...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ElFitz, Jul 9, 2011.

1. ElFitz macrumors newbie

Hello everybody !

For some reasons, I decided yesterday evening to try undervolting my mbp under windows 7... Went all the way from 1.750 volts at 9x multiplier to 1.0125 volts. It works perfectly.

Then I used Nvidia System Tools to overclock the gpu, while using notebook hardware control to control the fan and speed it up. 600MHz / 1200Mhz, have been running Furmark for 20 minutes and the temperature is stable at 77°C.

After that, I'll try undervolting the gpu, to lower the noise and the temperature :) Already found how to...

However, here comes what's bothering me...
    I spent all night looking for a way to overclock the cpu (and that's damn long :D), looking for some "pll" that would be necessary to configure the fsb... and nothing, I didn't find anything :p

So... please... does anyone know how to overclock the cpu on a mid 2010 13" MBP ? ^^'

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day !

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

What's a pll :p
    Macbook Pros don't have a Front Side Bus, not sure what you need to do, Google is your friend.

3. ElFitz, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

ElFitz thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, they do have... Since they use x86 CPUs ^^

But, oddly enough, it seems that however I set the frequencies for the GPU, it actually doesn't change the frequencies... No wonder it kept stable :p But, seriously, there's something I don't understand here... :confused:

4. SteneDave macrumors member

What is undervolting good for ? (and what is it bad for as well)

Thx

5. ElFitz thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, undervolting...

The default factory voltages are, most of the time, selected as to make sure your CPU / GPU will always remain stable (ie, no BSOD due to undervoltage in the CPU, for windows users ^^)

The fact is, those default values are pretty high...
    As I sead, while keeping the same frequency (fsb and multiplier), I could reduce the maximum voltage from 1.750 volts to 1.0125 for the CPU...

When undervolting, you have to try to find the lowest stable voltage for your CPU. Doing so, you reduce the power consumption... Therefore, you face two consequences: lower heat, longer battery life (up to 30 minutes), and a little longer lifespan for your components.

It's not difficult, nor dangerous, only takes a lot of time ^^

By the way, revolving back to the boocamp graphic card drivers and using MSI Afterburner instead of the Nvidia tools allowed the GPU overclocking. But the software won't allow to get over 585 MHz for the core clock, though... looking for a workaround ^^

6. Junkie2 macrumors member

I was messing with a nifty tool called CoolBook today. Seems to be the all-in-one for undervolting.

7. Macsavvytech, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

They don't the CPU is wired as to avoid a FSB, MBPs don't have a FSB. If you Google it, you will find that only the pre 2010 models are mentioned in the results, it is the same reason 1600MHz RAM can be put in the 2011 model even though the stock is 1333MHz. They actually mentioned this in the 1600Mhz EM forum.

8. ElFitz thread starter macrumors newbie

Well then, I guess wikipedia must be wrong when it says that mid-2010 13" still have a 1,066 MHz fsb ^^
    (even though, they seem to be the last ones, I agree)

And thanks for coolbook a nice Mac OS side tool apparently ^^
    But (yeah, there's always one somewhere :( ) the problem is... how to undervolt the gpu. Coolbook seams to be limited to the cpu ^^"

9. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

ATI tray tools in Windows if its Mac you mean then I only know of coolbook. That reminds me to see if its updated, it didn't work with my 2010 model haven't checked my 2011 model yet.

10. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Coolbook still only works with Core Duos and Core 2 Duos. I don't THINK there are plans to change that. If there are, the developer gives no indication on his page www.coolbook.se

11. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

No you didn't go from 1.75 down. That is way to much. No C2D ever has such a high V. That was probably only the setting your tool showed you as a default before you selected anything. 1.25V is the maximum of a C2D afaik. With 0.95V in the lower bins.

All Core iX CPUs only support some kind of offset value to change all voltages at once and since their idle V is already set very close to the lowest possible the offset cannot be much or the thing gets very unstable.
    The only alternative desktop motherboards support is one V for any speed but that doesn't really help either.
    I guess there is no way to set the offset from anywhere but a bios menu and thus they cannot make a new coolbook. It doesn't do nearly as much for Core iX CPUs as it did for the old ones anyway