Overclocking!?!?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peterjeter26, Mar 2, 2008.

1. peterjeter26 macrumors member

does anyone know if it is possible to over clock a macbook pro. is it possible to even get to the processor.

2. JWest macrumors 6502

1) Not sure what you mean by "get to the processor"

2) Apple (to the best of my knowledge) locks down processor clockspeeds. They use a locked-down clock generator so that the processor can't be overclocked. So no, I don't believe it is possible.

3. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

You can OC the GPU/Memcore speeds but not the CPU which, is worth it with the 8600 as it's underclocked.. just watch those temps!

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

5. DocSmitty macrumors regular

I hear you can overclock by repeatedly typing ! and ? :D

6. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i adjusted the time on my MBP to 2 hours in advance!

that's overclocking right!:D:D:D

now i'm faster than the REST!

7. jmmtn4aj macrumors member

That's true of the BIOS, but if you got the PLL chip code you might be able to use a software clockgen.

I wouldn't recommend it though, since laptop makers generally design their heatsinks to handle only up to the maximum TDP of the chip in use (sometimes less, since the processor shouldn't be at 100% load all the time) in order to keep the weight and size down.

8. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

9. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

I don't think so unless you burn something up in the process

10. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

lol nice pic

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yes overclocking will void your warranty even if somehow you are able to do it without melting your macbook.

12. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Has anyone used Graphiccellerator to OC the GPU on the Mac OS side?

13. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Quite honestly, it is pointless to overclock your CPU. the bottleneck exists in the 8600M GT. Overclock that for your desired results.

14. JWest macrumors 6502

Exactly. I suggest RivaTuner (for windows). I'm not sure how you go about OC-ing the GPU in Mac OS.

15. kashik macrumors regular

I thought overclocking would only void your warrenty if you increase the voltage to the chip.

??

16. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Provided you obviously don't fry your logic board or something, if you OC under Windows then your gpu/memcore voltage/clocks are returned to normal once you boot back into OS/X. OCing can be dangerous but it's all about care. Given the 8600 is significantly underclocked it's sometimes worth considering. Just ensure you watch those temps and run stability tests to verify your far enough from the roof that you won't cause any damage.

As for OCing under OS/X, I can't honestly see the point.. many people play games under OS/X cause they don't want to deal with windoze (fair enough) but your FPS will generally be better under XP than it will in an OS/X equivalent anyway so if you're going to go to the trouble of OCing under OS/X to get a few extra FPS then why not just bite the bullet and run Windows.

17. djellison macrumors 68020

Depends what the OP is after - an improvement in GFX performance, or an improvement with CPU intensive tasks such as rendering.

Doug

18. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

But still if you needed repair for an unrelated issue, and if Apple found out that you've OC'd your GPU, I bet they would refuse to repair it under warranty. Personally I wouldn't touch any OCing software...

19. kashik macrumors regular

Voltage does not necessarily need to be adjusted to overclock. If you want to overclock without voiding the warranty (which in most cases only happens if you adjust the voltage) then just don't touch the voltage. It is likely you wont get much out of it, but who knows when it is already underclocked.

Even when you do adjust the voltage, you need to do something pretty stupid to fry anything. If you're gonna adjust it, read up on it so you know what range to stay within.

20. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

doesn't the thing get hot enough w/ factory clock speeds!? sounds like a great way to destroy a laptop lol