Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobbyG4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2002
hi,

i am thinking of oc'ing my qs 733 to 800 or 867. Is it worth it? How safe is it?
i do alot of video work, and could do with the extra processing power on the renders etc. i have 1gig of ram, so upgrading that isnt an option.

i have heard that many of the chips are the same but have been 'graded' at the factory, as such.....

would it be worth it, performance wise to up to 867?

thanks for any input....
bobby

ps. i know that it is an expensive machine etc etc, and that there is a risk. but what im asking is for performance info and also sucess and stabilty rate...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Personally, I don't think it would be worth losing the warrenty on the machine by overclocking. If you're that concerned about the price, are you willing to deal with replacing the CPU or mother board if something goes wrong?

I did a quick calc, and making an assumption that the speed boost given by the faster clock speed was the limiting factor you'd be able to render what currently takes an hour in just about 51 minutes. It helps, but I'm also concerned that what your true limiting factor is the writing the video to disk, not the raw speed of the processor. What exactly are you hoping to speed up?

bobbyG4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2002
overclcock

thanks for your answer,

as i said, i wanted to increase the speed of the renders. granted, after your calculations, they do not seem worth it! it was just an idea really.

btw, the write speed to the hd's is fine. i have an extra 2 hd, both 7200rpm, which is fine for most video.

thanks,

b

bobbyG4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2002
'most'

when i say 'most' i mean DVCam or miniDV (which i use most of time!!)

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
there's another OC'ing thread in the hardware forum. you should check it out, there's a fair bit of info there.

i guess you could compare the safeness of OC'ing with your skill level with a soldering iron. i say practice on a few things first, like old circuit boards, old PC's. it'll be fun!! but only if you have the $$$ for a new CPU if you mess it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.