Overcoming Mac-phobia

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HerrRolf, Jun 25, 2008.

1. HerrRolf macrumors newbie

I'll keep it simple:
    I don't do anything w/ pictures (don't even own a camera)
    I don't make videos
    I don't play games
    I will only use the laptop for e-mail, schoolwork, internet browsing, watching movies.

Has anyone else been in this boat and been conflicted as to whether to pay the premium for a Mac for these functions, or just buy a sufficient Windows based (i.e. cheaper computer)? What helped you make your decision? Thanks.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you don't have to do anything with photos or videos to appreciate an unobtrusive and currently virus/spyware free.

if you don't want to use OS X or don't like it, thats a different story. its a solid OS, which is why i buy Macs. and really, there is no 'premium' for Macs anymore. the Cinema Displays... and other accessories, perhaps.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

The best way to get comfortable with a Mac is to go use one at a store if possible.

4. savvos macrumors regular

I haven't felt conflicted about buying a Mac, but I will tell you that every time I use the internet on my laptop I am glad I don't have to worry about picking up all sorts of crud from the internet. I think that alone for someone who uses the internet a lot is worth it. Also I got a call from my grandfather's live-in girlfriend asking about some problems she was having with her XP box (apps breaking and the OS slowing down due to age) and it reminded me that the only time I have ever had to re-install OSX was after a hard drive died.

Basically, the Mac will do everything you need it to do and be extremely low maintenance. Whether the time and hassle it will save you is worth the premium (which is fairly low) is up to you. If you wait for a notebook refresh, you won't even be paying a premium.

5. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Ive wasted thousands of dollars on windows computers that are worthless after a year of owning them. every mac I have owned I have resold for at least what I paid, if not a few hundred more...

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I usually regard Macs as work computers, so in my mind you won't have much use for one. However Windows and OS X are not your only choices. If you're going to be web browsing I think Windows would be a bad idea. Why not get a nice distro of linux? That'll be cheap (free) and virus free and satisfy all of your needs. Snapping up a laptop from newegg and putting ubuntu on it will give you an office suite, a few nice games and a great web browser all without having to download anything.

But first make sure that you can get your linux computer working with minimal trouble shooting, driver installation, or whatever you can handle.

7. HerrRolf thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand a similar spec'ed PC is at least if not more expensive than a Mac. But would you agree that the Mac is bit over spec'ed (and thus over-priced) for my needs? Honestly, I can get a Dell that'll suit my needs for $600 on sale.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just want to get the facts before I jump in.

8. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

get a refurbushed macbook, they can come pretty cheap. and itll last you much longer than any $600 dell

my mom, dad and brothers all have macs.. and do nothing more than browse the net listen to music and check email.. its not uncommon..

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Then get the right computer for you and put a safe operating system on it.

10. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

agreed. get a refurb macbook and feel good that you'll be able to sell it for more than you bought it in 6 months

11. bluecrow628 macrumors member

bluecrow628

definitly go with a mac, they are much simpler then winblowz pcs, and there are much fewer cryptic error messages, or errors at all really