Overcoming Shyness

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nick9191, May 7, 2009.

1. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Not much to say really. Just trying to work on building my confidence around others and overcoming my shyness. Any help would be appreciated.

More information if required.

TYIA

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

How about finding a local chapter of Toastmasters and joining?

This will have the added advantage of giving you some experience in public speaking in a controlled and supportive environment and will help your confidence improve. You can meet some new people and they will encourage you along the way since they are seeking the same things.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. nick9191 thread starter macrumors 68040

Unfortunately the nearest one to me is many, many miles away and I have no transport. Thanks for the suggestion though.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Just go anywhere public (Mall, Train station, airport...etc.) and walk up to a random person, and tell him a secret. Continue doing that for some time, and you won't be shy! Worked for me...

Now I do stupid stuff in front of everybody.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Get to know yourself (builds self confidence). Learn to smile. Learn to compliment others and ask questions (people love to talk about themselves). Be natural. Laugh. And remember that everyone suffers from shyness to some degree.

6. NightGeometry macrumors regular

One good tip i got was to practice talking to people who can't refuse... Shop workers (if they aren't busy), and such, Ask for recommendations or such. They pretty much have to answer, and are likely to be helpful and polite, it is kind of good practice / a good confidence builder.