Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Im some what torn between the Overdrive or the MiFi..
Anyone using either of the two, please post

1. Which device
2. Location
3. Speeds/Screen shot.

Thanks in advance!
This might help some people (including myself) make a better guess at what service provider is better for a certain area.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
I tried both the Overdrive and MiFi on the iPad. The Overdrive gave me 2500Kbps to 4500Kbps downloads. The MiFi measured 250Kbps to 500Kbps. I returned the 3G MiFi and kept the 4G Overdrive.

Of course, if your town does not have Sprint 4G coverage, you won't see the speed advantage.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Mifi the whole way. Sprint has pretty weak 4g coverage, and I wouldnt be putting much stock in a company dropping so many customers each quarter.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
i did a a lot of thinking on the whole Mifi overdrive mobile hotspot thing and came to the conclusion that the Ipad 3G is the way to go.

1-you don't have to carry around another item (your hotspot)
2-no 5GB monthly cap - afaik the 3G ATT deal is truly unlimited.
3-cancel at anytime, not tied down to 2 year contract.

I really wanted a wi fi version with a mobile hotspot, but after doing a lot of digging around found that the 3G deal makes a lot more sense.

When the 4G networks are rolled out and its available everywhere, I may look into it again. But its going to be a while.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
i did a a lot of thinking on the whole Mifi overdrive mobile hotspot thing and came to the conclusion that the Ipad 3G is the way to go.

1-you don't have to carry around another item (your hotspot)
2-no 5GB monthly cap - afaik the 3G ATT deal is truly unlimited.
3-cancel at anytime, not tied down to 2 year contract.

I really wanted a wi fi version with a mobile hotspot, but after doing a lot of digging around found that the 3G deal makes a lot more sense.

When the 4G networks are rolled out and its available everywhere, I may look into it again. But its going to be a while.

You have to remember some of us need the MiFi or Overdrive for a laptop as well. I pay $60 per month for An AT&T USB card which only works on my MacBook. If I got rid of the USB card for a MiFi/Overdrive I would be killing 2 birds with one stone. MacBook and iPad would be connected plus 3 other devices of my choice.
I don't want to pay $60 for the AT&T USB for the MacBook and another $30 for the iPad.
MiFi or overdive seems like the way to go for people in my situation.

Thanks for posting guys! Hope to see some more people chime in.

RetroGamer360

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
I picked-up the Verizon Mi-Fi 2200 last week and, with the exception of the 5GB data cap, think it was a great choice for my personal needs. I consistently get between 1.5mbps and 2.2mbps downstream, 500kbps - 900kbps upstream and a ping between 88 - 190.

The big thing for me was using the iPad to poke around the web or stream a tv show while on the cardio machines at the gym and in my office at work. My iPhone would get between 0 - 1 bar of service where I get 5 full bars on the Mi-Fi. This is my first experience using Verizon and so far I am very pleased with the network performance.

An added bonus is being able to use the Mi-Fi with my MacBook Pro and work laptop when I am on the road. Now I don't have to go to Starbucks or Panera to get a connection. It works great with World of Warcraft as well which is a nice bonus. All in all it has been a great addition ... I just hope Verizon offers an unlimited plan so I don't have to watch the bandwidth meter.

Mike

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
It works great with World of Warcraft as well which is a nice bonus.
Mike

I was reading some people have been using the MiFi for the PS3 to do online gaming like Call of Duty. I would have never expected the thing would be that fast!

I have no experience with Verizon, from what you said you seem to be really enjoying it. What state do you happen to be in?

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
The big thing for me was using the iPad to poke around the web or stream a tv show while on the cardio machines at the gym

haha you actually bring your ipad to the gym? lol I was thinking about that the other day but thought id feel foolish lugging that thing in with me when im supposed to be working out haha.

RetroGamer360

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
I sure did feel like a geek using the iPad at the gym ... at first ... until three people who checked out my iPad went out a bought iPads and now bring them to the gym too. :D

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
haha you actually bring your ipad to the gym? lol I was thinking about that the other day but thought id feel foolish lugging that thing in with me when im supposed to be working out haha.

I'd say its not that much different than people watching TV in the gym... other than your bringing your own TV. haha :)

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
Do you have 4G coverage in your area?

Consider clear.com is the same network as Sprint and $20 cheaper with no 2 year contract

Also the HTC EVO 4G phone is a mobile hotspot coming out June 6th

Also the new iPhone is due in June and might be whiz bang

I'm getting the iPad 3G and will be working all the above posibilities

kirchnrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
I sure did feel like a geek using the iPad at the gym ... at first ... until three people who checked out my iPad went out a bought iPads and now bring them to the gym too. :D

That would be cool, an app that syncs with the Nike device, and tracks your speed and displays an image like you are running through a park, or somewhere famous. You could sit the iPad on the treadmill, but feel like you are really out running!

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Do you have 4G coverage in your area?

Consider clear.com is the same network as Sprint and $20 cheaper with no 2 year contract

Also the HTC EVO 4G phone is a mobile hotspot coming out June 6th

Also the new iPhone is due in June and might be whiz bang

I'm getting the iPad 3G and will be working all the above posibilities

Yes 4G coverage looks pretty solid where I am. (from the sprint map anyway)

you mentioned the new iPhone, that's another reason I don't want to make any drastic moves right now. My contract with AT&T is up right when the new iPhone is going to be released. Who knows what features it might have.. Hot spot, tethering, or whatever...
If I'm not impressed with the new iPhone I'm seriously thinking about taking my business else where. Verizon offers phones that tether and or do mobile hot spots...

Kenal0

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007

I use mine at the gym as well along with my Overdrive. I get 4g coverage there and can stream netflix movie while on the recumbant bike or eliptical machine. That is one of the reasons that I got the Overdrive over the MiFi.

Kenal0

patp

Apr 10, 2008
I picked-up the Verizon Mi-Fi 2200 last week and, with the exception of the 5GB data cap, think it was a great choice for my personal needs. I consistently get between 1.5mbps and 2.2mbps downstream, 500kbps - 900kbps upstream and a ping between 88 - 190.

The big thing for me was using the iPad to poke around the web or stream a tv show while on the cardio machines at the gym and in my office at work. My iPhone would get between 0 - 1 bar of service where I get 5 full bars on the Mi-Fi. This is my first experience using Verizon and so far I am very pleased with the network performance.

An added bonus is being able to use the Mi-Fi with my MacBook Pro and work laptop when I am on the road. Now I don't have to go to Starbucks or Panera to get a connection. It works great with World of Warcraft as well which is a nice bonus. All in all it has been a great addition ... I just hope Verizon offers an unlimited plan so I don't have to watch the bandwidth meter.

Mike

Your absolutely right. In your situation the mifi makes a lot of sense. For me I am trying to lighten my load when I travel so the 3G version makes sense.

If they could do away with the 5gb cap I would be all over it.

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
You know you can share the USB connection with the airport, right? This would allow you to create a secure wifi connection for your iPad, iPod/phone or whatever other devices you have. Internet sharing under sharing in system prefs allows pretty easy setup to do this. As I'm typing now, I'm sharing the Bluetooth connection from my blackberry tour to the airport on my MacBook pro, allowing me to conmect the iPad as my friend is using my iPod touch. It's really not that bad for web browsing when no wifi is available. It should be even faster with a USB air card. Let me know if you need help with the setup.

You have to remember some of us need the MiFi or Overdrive for a laptop as well. I pay $60 per month for An AT&T USB card which only works on my MacBook. If I got rid of the USB card for a MiFi/Overdrive I would be killing 2 birds with one stone. MacBook and iPad would be connected plus 3 other devices of my choice.
I don't want to pay $60 for the AT&T USB for the MacBook and another $30 for the iPad.
MiFi or overdive seems like the way to go for people in my situation.

Thanks for posting guys! Hope to see some more people chime in.

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Unfortunately I'm tied to an AT&T laptop connect USB stick, so I'm going to be buying a cradlepoint to use with it this summer, AT&T doesn't have that great of 3G at our summer place so we will see how it goes.

jaeguyoon

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
I'm using the overdrive and here is my speed
34390770.png

It's on 4g in Rockville md.

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
Your absolutely right. In your situation the mifi makes a lot of sense. For me I am trying to lighten my load when I travel so the 3G version makes sense.

If they could do away with the 5gb cap I would be all over it.

I travel for the work, so the limited coverage with Sprint was a no go. I also need to use my laptop, so the Verizon MiFi was the only way to go in my situation. So far the coverage has been great!

( this also gives me an option in addition to AT&T, I can use my iPhone for a quick Internet hit or use the MiFi if I'm not in a good AT&T area )

Oh, and I should mention that work is picking up the tab for the MiFi......

patp

Apr 10, 2008
stisdal said:
I travel for the work, so the limited coverage with Sprint was a no go. I also need to use my laptop, so the Verizon MiFi was the only way to go in my situation. So far the coverage has been great!

( this also gives me an option in addition to AT&T, I can use my iPhone for a quick Internet hit or use the MiFi if I'm not in a good AT&T area )

Oh, and I should mention that work is picking up the tab for the MiFi......

Sounds like a win win. The verizon coverage is hard to beat. I'm on verizon with my black berry.

I bought the wi fi iPad. Couldn't wait. But for now am okay with wifi at work and home. I am going to really look into the mifi or the overdrive later this year hoping the 4G network becomes more widespread.

katyoshi

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2009
Honolulu, HI
If you have coverage with Clear, check it. See what I'm getting with my home modem and my mobile modem for $55 a month. I sometimes get like 13+mbps no joke...I use to have road runner. I was thinking about the sprint overdrive 4G but took the risk of using Clear and don't regret it. Plus they're planning to build more towers in my area and then I can take the FULL advantage of Clear 4G. Right now I'm sort of getting a radial feed from a tower far away from my house.

Attachments

• Clearwire speed shot.png
    Clearwire speed shot.png
    285.4 KB · Views: 85
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.