Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Does Apple overestimate shipping of the new MacBook pro? Mins says August 28. Seems so far out

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Does Apple overestimate shipping of the new MacBook pro? Mins says August 28. Seems so far out

Sometimes they do, but if it is a CTO, it might be right. I had one ordered last Sunday (12th) and the delivery date was the 20th. They told me that in all likelihood it would arrive before then since it was being overnighted.

Well, it got hung up in customs, then a severe weather delay and sure enough it’s now arriving tomorrow, the 20th, as predicted

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Sometimes they do, but if it is a CTO, it might be right. I had one ordered last Sunday (12th) and the delivery date was the 20th. They told me that in all likelihood it would arrive before then since it was being overnighted.

Well, it got hung up in customs, then a severe weather delay and sure enough it’s now arriving tomorrow, the 20th, as predicted
I had the same situation with my order. UPS indicated early on that it'd be delivered this past Friday, but Apple had been predicting the 20th all along, so I'd say Apple's estimates are pretty accurate.

Reactions: SDColorado

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Its nothing special. its the i7, 32gb ram and 1TB. its funny they have the low end models all in stock, but nothing different.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I guess it makes sense. they do have to build them. They can't have every option available.
I'd think there's also reason to limit in-store stock given the upcoming Mojave drop. If I were in charge I'd not want a bunch of less-often-purchased configs sitting on the shelves to have to re-image or sell with the old image.

Reactions: SDColorado

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I'd think there's also reason to limit in-store stock given the upcoming Mojave drop. If I were in charge I'd not want a bunch of less-often-purchased configs sitting on the shelves to have to re-image or sell with the old image.
they should have just waited until Mojave released. I don't think thats the reason. Mojave is just an update.

phulton

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Its nothing special. its the i7, 32gb ram and 1TB. its funny they have the low end models all in stock, but nothing different.
Well, they have "standard" models (the 2.2 and 2.6 versions), then they have build to order (yours). BTO models take longer, they are built when you order then. Compared to the standard models that are shipped to every store that sells Apple products. My BTO took a week to deliver from China. Had I ordered the base 2.2 with no upgrades it would have been less than 3 days to my door.

sky87

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2015
Mine (BTO) arrived in the local Apple Store 2 days before it was expected to, so I was quite pleased! Ordered last week Friday, given expected pick up in store of Friday, but it arrived and I got it on the Wednesday.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Well, they have "standard" models (the 2.2 and 2.6 versions), then they have build to order (yours). BTO models take longer, they are built when you order then. Compared to the standard models that are shipped to every store that sells Apple products. My BTO took a week to deliver from China. Had I ordered the base 2.2 with no upgrades it would have been less than 3 days to my door.
I got the middle model of 15 inch. I would think they be standard. Maybe the ram and 1tb. Made it different

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
The US is annoyingly addicted to courier services.

I can tell you the situation here is pretty similar, I rarely ever find the exact product I am looking for unless I order online. And I am not just talking about Apple, but nearly everything else as well.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I can tell you the situation here is pretty similar, I rarely ever find the exact product I am looking for unless I order online. And I am not just talking about Apple, but nearly everything else as well.
But maybe in the UK the Royal Mail option is more common than USPS in the US (especially internationally) and perhaps more competitive and reliable.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Exactly. Get the basic/common configs in stock in stores now for the back to school sales, then add some more in-store-availability configs after Mojave is released.
I didn't mean to put should. It doesn't make sense. Mojave is just an update software. That shouldn't have impacted them having them in stores

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I didn't mean to put should. It doesn't make sense. Mojave is just an update software. That shouldn't have impacted them having them in stores

I'm looking at it from a marketing / customer-experience stance. Less frequently ordered units might sit in back a few weeks of some stores, depending on location. Apple may not want a new buyer to open it up in late October to find they don't have the current macOS. Sure it's simple enough to update, but not really the best customer experience. Store staff would have to either update and re-seal any/all of those units, or ship them back to be re-done. Or just don't stock much beyond the main configs for the time being.

Just speculation. The only folks who know the real reason are the folks at Apple who make those decisions.

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
But maybe in the UK the Royal Mail option is more common than USPS in the US (especially internationally) and perhaps more competitive and reliable.

I have faced several issues with Royal Mail before and it's nearly impossible to reach their customer service on the phone. I had to visit them at one point and still left home without my parcel mainly because it was 5 - 10 minutes away from closing time and the employee refused to even check for my item in their database. From my experience, DPD is so much better and of course, Amazon's shipping service is most certainly the best.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I have faced several issues with Royal Mail before and it's nearly impossible to reach their customer service on the phone. I had to visit them at one point and still left home without my parcel mainly because it was 5 - 10 minutes away from closing time and the employee refused to even check for my item in their database. From my experience, DPD is so much better and of course, Amazon's shipping service is most certainly the best.
Well, maybe Royal Mail gives you trouble within the UK.

DPD is owned by the French post.

Amazon gives trouble with some carriers.

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
@cube wow I didn't even know DPD is owned by the French post. A lot of vaping websites I order from use DPD, and as I mentioned I always got my packages delivered on time without any issues. I have made more orders from Amazon in the past year that I can remember, and I don't think I ever got a late delivery, but I always choose Prime products so that may be why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.