Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Sounds weird, but everything is slightly washed out...

First example: MacRumors quotes are white. Posts are the same white.

Second example: iChat doesn't show the differently colored strips for contacts unless a drop shadow is making them darker... (Edit: It's really hard to tell, but the picture on the right is two iChat windows open next to each other. The one on the right is the dominant one... Maybe it's really hard to tell because they're the same shade of white as the post box...)

What in the world?

This started after I booted back from Windows not ten minutes ago. I have since deleted Windows; no change.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
check your color profile/ calibrate your screen. I don't see a problem with the screengrabs?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
check your color profile/ calibrate your screen. I don't see a problem with the screengrabs?

I recalibrated. No good... It's things like the darker shade of a quote and the creamish color of the post boxes that are pure white now.

In iChat, the blue stripes don't show up unless a drop shadow is over them; otherwise the window looks uniformly white.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Repair permissions?

Screenshot of MR looks fine. Quotes are gray, body is white.

Check your display profile?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Nope. Repaired and no change. Should I restart after that?

Display profile... that's calibration, isn't it? I did that... iChat is still white (save under drop shadows) and there is no difference in quoted box color...

Everything else about the GUI looks really good now. I'm glad that I recalibrated.

It's the little things... Websites aren't being colorized at all and iChat is screwed up... how could it have screwed itself up so much that the blue and white in iChat have gone to the same color?

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Sure a setting didn't get changed on the monitor itself? What monitor are you using? What OS X version?

It sounds as if the brightness has been turned up to the point that light colors are being washed out.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Tanj in torment, now it's UNDERexposed! The lines in iChat look like 10.1's pinstripes!

I'll rerecalibrate and see if that fixes it...

AHH! I'm getting the shards of colors! Random jagged triangles of color all over my screen! I've seen someone with this problem before! What do I do about it?!

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Sorry, tornadoes. Had to get safe...

So, what, my card's kaput? The overexposure's back, but I haven't seen any glitching since I restarted.

I once had an issue with Windows/Linux dual booting. Hardware
GPU acceleration didn't work in Linux after a restart. It turned out
that Windows was leaving the card in some sort of strange state.

So, if you haven't already done so: power off, unplug, wait a
few seconds and then cold boot.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
So, if you haven't already done so: power off, unplug, wait a few seconds and then cold boot.

Well, that's what I had to do to keep it safe from the storm! I unplugged it and ran it to the basement while I waited for the storm to end.

Everything seems back to normal now. The iChat stripes are normal brightness, the blues of MacRumors are back (blue backgrounds), and I haven't seen any of the insane sharding... go figure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.