Overhaul 3 website network, rss feeds.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Dal123, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I have 3 websites: (1)www.preciseformwork.co.uk(which is aimed for concrete worktops / interiors etc) (2)www.preciseformwork.com (which is my blog showing updates of current projects) (3)www.concretestairslondon.co.uk (which is aimed for concrete stairs) and I'm trying to create a bit of a network. I would also like to link the blog feeds to facebook / twitter sites etc.

What I would like is on each website I will have a link 'blog' that when you click on that, the page is still in that particular website, but the feed is generated from the whole seperate blog website (www.preciseformwork.com) I found this great article http://searchenginewatch.com/2175271 Will wordpress be ok to use this with? Or would it be simpler to just create my own website with xml tags, thinking about it, it must be create my own site though I only ask as wordpress is considered the ultimate blogging platform.:)

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

View this page and pick an aggregator to run on all your sites where you want an external feed to parse into your Word Press blog (or any page):

http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/how...on-wordpress-blog-atomrss-aggregator-plugins/

For most simple integration, test RSSImport or FeedCache but many others are listed depending on your needs (and read to get more ideas too).

Facebook and twitter already have means of adding in feeds, plus you can install "Share This" on your sites to allow users to share your blog it on their facebook/twitter and other pages as well.

3. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Thanks Jim, I've done a bit of reading on it, I've noticed this last month there has been more info out there on actually creating feeds etc. as opposed to a few months ago only information for the consumer on how to read them etc.
    Thanks for the link and the advice :D.

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

WordPress automatically creates the feed, once you know the URL you use an aggregator to import onto another site as content. Users just see it as content, most quality aggregators make it easy for the user by displaying the links to allow users to subscribe different ways and also display the tiny orange icon. The reason you, as admin, use aggregators (third party software or WordPress plugins, whatever) is to import sensibly, i.e. cache the feed to reduce bandwidth usage and also format the feed as content to seamlessly integrate with your theme and layout. And to automate the process, usually via a scheduled task plugin or cron. Plus a nice back end to manage it all.

Those links I provided help you accomplish all of that.

Hope this summarizes it for ya. Best wishes.

-jim