overheat!! but not???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by craigystylz, Jul 23, 2011.

1. craigystylz macrumors newbie

I have myself a 2009 13'' macbook pro. i have installed smc fancontrol and cranked the fans up. The computer goes up to about 70 degrees celcius when playing a video or my girl is on facebook playing those damn games lol. Here is the kicker when the computer reaches 70 degrees it freezes and shuts down!!??? :confused: now i tried to run a system test with a disc that future shop gave me but even running that with a fan underneath it heats up and freezes?? any ideas cause i am stumped

thanks

2. Unpleasant macrumors member

sounds like a flash issue. Videos on youtube?

If so, Try updating to the latest flash player

3. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

If your laptop freezes and temps only reach 70C then your problem may not be temperature-related. Or at least not CPU temperature - it may be something else in your computer that overheats. A DC power regulator perhaps, it's hard to say.

It could also be bad caps or other passive components on your mobo, bad RAM, a bad solder joint somewhere that causes intermittent failures when hot...and so on.

Easiest thing to do is just return your laptop to an authorized dealer for servicing.

4. craigystylz thread starter macrumors newbie

is fixing it worth it??.. or should i just get another one? reason being i live about 8 hours from the closest apple store :(

5. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

If you call Apple they can probably inform you of a service center closer to you than 8 hours. Also, I hear there's a thing called "postal service" available in most civilized countries... ;)

I'm sure there's a much cheaper solution to your problem other than plonking down at least a thousand bucks for a new laptop (regardless of how fun buying new stuff may be! :)), particulary if you still have warranty coverage left.