Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
USA
I shut down my MBP and put it in its bag. A few hours later I took it out and it was incredibly hot, and somehow had turned itself on in the bag. The fans were blowing at full speed. It took about 5min for the fans to cool it off. My question is, what the heck happened? Has this happened to anyone else? And, could this cause any damage? Thanks

Tofaha

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
MI
one time i put my macbookpro in a sleeve and put it in my backback and i drove to the library. about 20 min later i get to the lib open my backpack and i hear the fans blowing. i think i just had not totally put my computer to sleep, but after it cooled down, i didn't have any problems.

Fast Shadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2004
Hollywood, CA
I've had this happen with Dell laptops many times. In those cases something failed to prevent the machine from shutting down or going to sleep. So it would continue to run in the confined space of my bag, with poor circulation and lots of insulation. I've never had any damage result from it, but it's certainly not good for the machine.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I shut down my MBP and put it in its bag. A few hours later I took it out and it was incredibly hot, and somehow had turned itself on in the bag. The fans were blowing at full speed. It took about 5min for the fans to cool it off. My question is, what the heck happened? Has this happened to anyone else? And, could this cause any damage? Thanks

Heya. This happened to me a couple of times with my MacBook when I first bought it, and didn't cause any damage. Just turn the machine off and let it cool down before using it again. I never quite figured out what did it, but it hasn't happened to me in well over a year.

topher2889

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Funny, this just happened to me this morning as I woke up. I put the computer to sleep last night. (It fully went to sleep with the pulsing led and all) When I wake up this morning I hear macbook fans and my LED to be solid White. I open up the lid and the thing is frozen so I force it to power down and restart. All seems to be well now but what gives? This has been one of many problems I've had with it recently others were the caps lock and num lock key reversing on/off, a kernel panic when using a display adapter, and a general unwillingness to wake from sleep.
I have a macbook running 10.5.1. This never happened with Tiger!:mad:

reggansa

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
San Diego
This happened to me on numerous occasions. My fix was to set my macbook to wake only on keypress only. By default, it's set to wake when you open the lid. For me, this was the root of my problems. If I didn't close the lid just right(whatever "just right" is...couldn't figure it out), that would happen. Since changing to wake on key, I haven't had a problem since. Here's the command I used.

sudo pmset lidwake 0

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I had the problem as well on my previous MBP. I too suspect it was a lid issue (poorly installed sensor?), and I'd try the command above - or bring it into Apple if you have plenty of time and don't mind waiting days to get it back.

gpeden

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
Hi,

I just noticed that under Bluetooth" there's an option to un-check called "Allow blutooth devices to wake this computer". I have a BT mouse and have accidentally awakened the computer with the lid closed by bumping it.

gretafour

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
Bluetooth

Hi,

I just noticed that under Bluetooth" there's an option to un-check called "Allow blutooth devices to wake this computer". I have a BT mouse and have accidentally awakened the computer with the lid closed by bumping it.

I've got a PowerBook (3.5 years strong!) with Leopard and a bluetooth mouse... I noticed that if I was using the mouse, then closed the lid and walked out of range, the computer would wake up for like 10 seconds then go back to sleep. It wouldn't stay on, but I'd rather it not be spinning at all. I unchecked the "Allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer" and that seemed to take care of it. Could be related.

danvan21

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
I've got a PowerBook (3.5 years strong!) with Leopard and a bluetooth mouse... I noticed that if I was using the mouse, then closed the lid and walked out of range, the computer would wake up for like 10 seconds then go back to sleep. It wouldn't stay on, but I'd rather it not be spinning at all. I unchecked the "Allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer" and that seemed to take care of it. Could be related.

way to post on a 4 month old thread.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I've had this happen on both my MB & MBA but never my MBP.

The two it did happen to were my fault, kinda. The magnetic latch partially opened in transit and started process, stopped, started and the computers I imagine got confused.

The Pro has the mechanical latches though and your situation is kind of weird. If it happens more frequently I'd take it in. Sounds like sensors aren't sensing properly the lid is closed - or staying closed.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
i have had this happen too. I think though it was due to the fact that i had a Bluetooth Mouse near buy, or my apple remote was thrown in my bag.

Even if my bluetooth mouse wasnt working it would turn it on and then some how cause the computer to freeze

wake6830

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
I did this to my macbook once and freaked out, but didn't encounter any problems once it cooled down. I always shut down completely when traveling now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.