overheating 2006 MBP, over 100C

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jryan, Jun 4, 2011.

1. jryan macrumors newbie

I am trying to fix my sister's 2006 MacBook Pro. It has recently developed some major overheating issues, causing frequent shutdowns and rendering it unusable. I have tried many, many things to fix this, but the most relevant piece of information I can give is that without the battery, the processor runs at 1GHz and .95V, and the temps are ~50C at idle and ~55C at load. With the battery, 2.16Ghz and 1.225V, and the temps are ~52C at idle and >100C at load. Does this mean anything to any of you? (before you ask, it's not dust, no runaway processes, etc.)

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

The heat sinks / fans need to be cleaned out and new thermal paste reapplied.

3. jryan thread starter macrumors newbie

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

5. jryan thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean time to not spend several thousand dollars needlessly because the computer works perfectly save for mysterious cpu overheating that can't possibly be natural or permanent?

6. jryan thread starter macrumors newbie

The key point is that running at half speed, it gains about 5C when under load. At full speed (w/battery), it gains over 50C. Could this mean something about the battery?

7. John89 macrumors regular

Finally, someone who actually has a heat issue! :rolleyes:

Seriously though...8CoreWhores suggestions is all I can think of. Try reapplying the thermal paste again. Sometimes it takes a few trys to get it right.

8. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

SERIOUSLY. The amount of worrisome posts is insane.

9. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Which Apple laptop costs several thousand dollars? Do they have a secret rich mans website that us normal folks cannot see?

10. jryan, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

jryan thread starter macrumors newbie

I already did reseat the heasink with new thermal paste. That is not the problem. Please read the posts.

The fact that is most relevant is the fact that it gains 10x as much heat with the battery as without. I can understand 2x or 3x because of the speed difference, but 10x is not right.
    Both cores maxed at half speed = 5C gain
    One core maxed at full speed = 40C gain
    Something is wrong...

And why is there only 2C difference at idle when the fans are at 1k rpm vs 3.5k rpm...

Buying a new laptop is not the point here. I am trying to get this macbook pro functional again, because the only problem is the overheating. Please stop suggesting buying a new computer, as this is not even my computer I am fixing and if they do buy a new computer, it will not be apple (15-inch starts at 1.8k).

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

I would start by resetting the SMC first as it has to do with fan control amongst other things.

That particular generation MBP runs quite hot most of the time. I would make sure both fans are correctly working, iStat calculates the RPM's with voltage info, but doesn't reflect true fan speed, crack it open and turn it on for a few seconds, make sure they actually do spin up.

You may want to try installing an App such as FanControl which allows to tailor the fan ramp up curve to your liking as well as setting the minimum fan speed.

12. jryan thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed it!!!

I already played w/fan control to no avail. Fans run at 6k rpm, and yes, I have seen them physically spin up.

BUT, I used a kernel extension (xnu-speedstep) to manually control Intel's speedstep technology (only works w/intel macbooks) to undervolt the CPU. It can also underclock but I didn't need to. Mine is at stock frequency and lowered voltage and works fine, maxes out at 78C instead of 100+!
    http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Perhaps you have a faulty thermal sensor thats preventing the fans from kicking in. ALso it's no secret that laptops downclock everything when the battery is removed and only run at full capability with the battery inserted. So that itself is a normal phenomenon.