Overheating 5870 in Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Melvin Frohike, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Melvin Frohike macrumors newbie

Jul 5, 2008
    Playing Crysis in BootCamp with the Radeon 5870 i noticed some occasional graphic errors, with spiky artifacts appearing on the screen. I didn't think too much of that until i got the same thing in Metro 2033. There they were much more frequent and were only appearing after a couple minutes of play.

Using the Ati Catalyst Center i checked the temperature and fan speed. Temperature was 71 °C and fan speed was at 21%. When setting the fan speed manually to a higher number, the gpu stays cool and i can play without errors.

So it appears, there is an issue with the automatic fan control, where it doesn't rev up high enough.

I don't wan't to set a manual value though, as it is too much most of the time and get's really loud.

I use the card in a 2008 Mac Pro.

Has anyone else encountered or solved this problem?
  2. nasabaer macrumors member

Apr 2, 2009
    I have played through crysis and warhead on my mac pro 2010 with the ati 5870 at high settings.
    there was absolutely no problem with overheating.

i would say that you have a faulty card. 71° is not a temperature were an 5870 should run into problems.
  3. dave-tx macrumors member

Aug 8, 2007
    My 5870 was working perfectly for about a month, but last night developed artifacts and other video weirdness in both Boot Camp and OSX. Machine would freeze up after less than 5 minutes of use. I swapped back in my old 2600 and everything was good again. Going to the Apple Store for a return/exchange tomorrow.
  4. dave-tx macrumors member

Aug 8, 2007
    As a followup for reference purposes, there was a little difficulty getting my faulty 5870 returned. My mistake was contacting tech support (thinking that since I'm still under Apple Care for a few months, that would be the best way to go). Since the 5870 isn't officially supported on the early 2008 Mac Pro, they were unable to order me a replacement. Took about an hour on the phone plus a visit to the local Apple Store to reach this conclusion.

Called the Apple sales department and within 5 minutes was given an RMA and had a new card within the week.

Moral of the story: Call the sales department first for returns. I'll only call tech support on an issue that is, indeed, fixable.