Overheating and cooling problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xE4GL3k, Jul 2, 2011.

1. xE4GL3k macrumors newbie

Hey, guys. Hope everyone has good weekend so far.

I had my MBP very recently, like a couple months ago. It's refurbished i5/4G MBP(originally released at the end of 2010). I noticed that there are some overheating issue. The left side of book starts getting hot after like 20 or 30 mins, even I didn't run big apps. When I used Skype calling friends, it's getting hotter, especially the top part.

I googled and read a few forums. Based on other users' suggestion, i downloaded and installed smcFanControl. By turning up fan speed, it helps a bit now, but still not really improved.

I dont know if i should take it back to store and ask them to fix this kind issue. Or I just overreact here, i mean, i dont know if cooling issue is very common for mac book pro too(sorry, this is my first mac book), and i should get some cooling pads to fix the problem.

You guys can help me out here, please? I really appreciate your helpful response, thanks in advance.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It will get physically hot, as all the components produce heat, and the aluminum body conducts heat well. Skype also heats up the computer pretty good, as will YouTube, and other flash videos, games, etc. No need to worry about that.

3. xE4GL3k thread starter macrumors newbie

So it sounds like it's very common situation for all MBP, not like there is some components in the book not working, right? do you guys recommend to get some cooling pads as a solution? If so, which one would you recommend?

Again, thank you so much.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

there isn't really a need for a cooling pad or whatever. it should get hot, it's totally normal. unless your mbp has a genuine defect then there is no need for any other cooling besides the fans, and in which case you should just get it repaired instead of trying fix such a defect with a cooling pad.

what you listed is normal, however. just continue using it.

5. xE4GL3k thread starter macrumors newbie

I didnt see any defect though, thank god. Thank you so much, Archlord.