Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
I have a late '08 MBP and upgraded to SL about a month and a half ago. Since then, when I watch a YouTube, or any sort of flash video for that matter, my fans start to kick in and it gets loud. I have Wi-Fi turned off but bluetooth on. I've been locking up alot too. Even when I'm not doing anything on it. Maybe have iChat open, but I've had about 3 or 4 lock ups. My battery life has also gone down a tad. I know I'm running 64bit instead of 32, so it should decrease a bit, but why is it getting so hot? I have it in the open and sitting on a small box so it gets air. Using an external monitor, but my fans never kicked in as much when I was running 10.5. Thanks guys

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It's normal if running flash based media. Flash on OS X sucks period but the new Flash is suppose to help that so look out for that. As for locking up, good chance is that you're running in 64-bit. Some will say 64-bit runs flawless for them while others will say otherwise. I know for me, I can't run 64-bit without any problems. go back to 32-bit. Right now, there's a good chance you're not doing anything that absolutely requires you to run in 64-bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.