Overheating and Shutoff on a Macbook C2D 2.0 GHz

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Helianthus, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Helianthus macrumors member

I apologize if this has been discussed before. I did a search, but it did not yield anything of relevance.

Up until about 2 weeks ago, my Macbook has worked flawlessly, but recently, it has been just turning off several times a day. I am assuming that this is due to overheating, as the computer is quite hot. Has anyone else had issues with this, or can help me identify what the problem is? I still covered under applecare, so I may just end up taking it in. I don't know if I could recreate an involuntary shut down though.

Any help or links to relevant discussion would be much appreciated.

2. Philflow macrumors 65816

If you have Applecare you might just want to call Apple. You're the first one I read with a new Macbook overheating. Mine stayed very cool mostly.

3. jonaz macrumors newbie

I have the same MacBook 2.0 GHz (mid 2007) with the same problem. The hardware test indicates an error code: 4MOT/1/40000002:Exhaust. I have installed smcFanControl to monitor the temperature. The fan speed reports "0 rpm" and is 'greyed out.' I suspect that either the fan has failed or there is a problem with the CPU or heat sensing component. Naturally, everything worked fine until after the warranty expired. If you have Applecare you should get Apple involved ASAP as it may be a serious problem (CPU, logic board, etc.)

If anyone else has had this problem, I would appreciate knowing how you resolved it.