Overheating iMac i3 - Would not turn back on for hours

Discussion in 'iMac' started by krimedog, Aug 1, 2011.

1. krimedog macrumors member

My Mid 2010 iMac i3 3.2Ghz 4GB RAM overheated yesterday. It turned off and would not turn on again. I waited about an hour and tried again and it turned on for about 5 minutes (fan on 100%) and then it shut off again.

I'm running OSX Lion 10.7. The only hardware that I think could have any bearing is a M-Audio Firewire 410 sound card. I have a FW800 to FW400 cable to connect it.

I only had Safari, iTunes, Chrome and MS Office 2011 open at the time and was not using the computer.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Or do I have a lemon? I also have the issue of dust within the glass (grey spottiness), has anyone been able to resolve that issue?

Thanks.

2. macdudesir macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure you have a lemon...i had an iMac i3 and it was icy cold...heck I've got a quad core i5 now and its cool...just to make sure its the temp though (yes i realize its pretty obviously the temp but we just have to make sure :D) let it cool down for long enough to get back to room temp...turn it on and download the istat pro widget if you don't have it already...http://islayer.com/apps/istatpro/ ...watch your temps and record what they were when the system cuts off and make sure all your fans are working...if you see 0rpm you have a dead fan and it needs replacing..

3. krimedog thread starter macrumors member

Great. Do you know if iStat Pro can record log entry every few minutes? I will let you know what I find.

4. macdudesir macrumors 6502

No i am afraid it cannot...but you did remind me that you should also look at the console logs after it shuts down and you get it back on....just spotlight console once you let it cool down and turn it back on and see if you see any over temp warnings at the time of shutdown...

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

A Combination

Of potential problems. Fans, PSU, etc. If it's new, its a no brainer, return and replace.

6. SawceBaws macrumors member

Yeah, if it's still under warranty you can replace it. They'll probably end up giving you a low end 2011 i5 Model if you're lucky. I *think* if you don't have warranty you'd have to just buy a new computer, don't think it's fixable. Don't quote me on that though, i'm just thinking out loud.

7. krimedog thread starter macrumors member

I reviewed the logs and didn't find anything relevant before the shutdown. In fact, it didn't have the same logs between the first and second shutdown.

I'll take it in sometime soon. For now its miraculously come back to life.

Do I need to make an appointment with Genius bar and just bring it to the Apple Store?

8. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

As a suggestion for your Mid 2010 iMac i3 3.2Ghz 4GB RAM system (which is the same as my system), install iSlayer iStats Nano or iStats Pro (which are free widgets) and monitor your iMac's internal heat numbers. If its insides are getting too hot, time to apply "proactive" cooling tricks. For example, 3rd party fan speed program, remove its bottom screen memory cover (to allow more air intake) and if needed, install a 6"-8" silent running fan behind the iMac screen.

If wondering, my iMac i3 is currently running as:

[​IMG]

9. krimedog thread starter macrumors member

I've been mixing some music in Ableton Live on mine. Here's how hot its getting

Attached Files:

10. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Wow!!!! Your iMac's internal temps are much higher. Your iMac's internal fan speeds are much lower. re: Compare iStats Pro of my iMac against your iMac. I would agree. Your iMac is running hot. Especially its Power Supply and internal HD comparisons.

As a suggestion, remove its memory cover (located at bottom of screen - to allow more air entry) & install 3rd party fan control software (like SMC Fan control) and "turn up" the fan speeds. For example http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/Spike99-Pictures/New iMac system/FanSpeedJune25-2011.png

Works for my iMac (that is same size / model as yours).

11. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

You guys SHOULD READ what somebody posts before you are so eager to "help"...

Attached Files:

12. Spike88, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Not too sure if "returning" and replacing like-for-like will solve the problem... Especially in the long run....

Based on the "many patterns" on this forum (and others), I see the situaiton as:

- Lion has problems. It isn't 100% and at times, makes the system work harder than it needs. This means more internl heat (along with hangs, freezes and weird video problems). Hopefully, Apple will provide immedate pathes to its many problems. For now, Lion makes a system "run hot". Heat = bad. For now, suggest staying with much temp cooler & more stable SL.

- IMO, these All-In-On boxes do NOT have enough lower box and upper box vent holes. The system is starving for air flow. Thus, why the top of the iMac box runs hot. A few years ago, I remember reading a post about the C2D boxes and their "cool temps". One poster perks up and says, "when i5,i7 chips and better video cards are jammed into the tight size box, their internals will run even hotter. Scary hot". Today, we see "many, many" posts about iMacs running hot. Scary hot. Hot to touch, HDs over 55C and many other "over the top" hot temps. All because their boxes lack "more" air flow openings. Will trading "box for box" eliminate this lack of air flow problem? No lickely. To me, if hotter items are inside a small box, you'd think they would install more (or larger size) air holes in top and bottom to compensate this increase as well... Guess they missed this common engineering sence as well.

- To keep `energy savings star` rating, the internal FAN RPMs are "too low". Increase fan RPMs (using 3rd parts softare) and one can easliy watch the iMac's internal heat go down. Faster fans = more air flow = cooler internal temps = great thing. Why must the fans run fast??? Because the iMac design lacks enough air flow openings at the top and bottom of their box. Remove the Memmory Simm cover (at bottom of the box). Does that cover removal lower the internal temps a few minor degrees? It does on my iMac box. Thus, proving more air flow openings = cooler insides.

After my iMac base warranty is completed (in 1.5 more months), I plan to remove its front glass, remove its insides and open its rear vent holes to "twice its size". And, I plan to add larger holes in the bottom of iMac box as well. Thus, allowing more (much more) vertical air flow within my tightly compressed iMac box. After this modification (to eliminate air flow "starvation"), I can then turn the fan RPMs down. Down to say 1,000 RPMs (instead of their current mimim 1,400 RPMs).

IMO, returning the iMac isn't the long term answer for its "too hot" insides situation. The answer isn't found within the box. The long term answer is looking at how the iMac box is designed (too small of space with too much heat generator items) and how this iMac box "vents" must be modified - to allow it to breath properly. That's the long term answer - that's being shown many times within the many "too hot / too hot" threads. Trading / swapping like-for-like isn't the long term soluiton. Thinking "outside the current box" is the real answer (for better internal cooling and less system hangs / crashes)....