Overheating MacBook Pro 15 Bootcamp Windows 10

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emataq420, Dec 8, 2016.

1. emataq420 macrumors newbie

Any solutions to prevent the overheat on my MacBook pro when using bootcamp with Windows 10???

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Ditch WinDozes under Bootcamp and run it as a VM under VMWare or Parallels

3. emataq420 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm actually trying Windows on parallels but the fans of my MacBook still the same as in bootcamp

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Try Mac Fan Control from CRYSTALIDEA they also have a Windows App (I think)

Q-6

5. emataq420 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have it but I don't know which settings are the best to use

6. cmaier macrumors G3

7. emataq420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is overheating on bootcamp as well in parallels

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Just set them to Max, or set a range on the CPU, Pelevating the rear helps to keep it cooler as well.

Q-6
    --- Post Merged, Dec 8, 2016 ---
    Define overheating - as in shutting down?

Q-6

9. emataq420 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I set a custom settings, how many degrees it is recommended?

10. cmaier macrumors G3

It doesn't make a lot of sense. Ive run at 100% CPU for hours and haven't had a problem. In bootcamp I could see an issue if the fan control isn't working right, but you should have no problems in parallels.

11. emataq420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Overheating like, the Mac with no CPU forcing it turns on the fans to max de RPM

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I an used to the Mac version, all the same lets try; Set the fans to CPU Core as this generally get hot fast, try a range of 65C to start speeding up the fans and a max of 85C this will ensure that the fans come on fast & hard.

Gaming perchance?

Q-6

13. capelesshero macrumors member

capelesshero

I think you have bad fans if it's doing it on both vm and bootcamp.

14. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Not the expert here with Windows on a Mac as I have dedicated Windows systems, that might just be systematic of Boot Camp, more knowledgable members will help with that. Does it actually feel hot? or just the fans running fast

Q-6
    --- Post Merged, Dec 8, 2016 ---
    Not likely as each fan has it`s own sensor and if so it would replicate the same behaviour in OS X

Q-6

15. emataq420 thread starter macrumors newbie

It actually feels hot but I think it's the normal heat but it annoys me that the fans are at max, well I just want a solution to stop suffering

16. cmaier macrumors G3

That is not what overheating is. That's the machine doing what it's supposed to do.

17. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

I've always found Apple's fan plan drivers in Bootcamp run hot: they're too reactionary, not preemptive.

I override them and kick in fans much sooner, else I hit high-90s on a medium load.

18. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I don't think you have any problem, this is how Mac`s are. It is the trade off for being thin and light, yes the fan noise can be distracting some solutions:

So Being an owner & user of the 15" MacBook Pro forever; Over the years the 15" has frequently struggled with it`s thermals, especially when an external display is connected as the dGPU switches on by default, internal temperatures soar, equally there are some steps that can be taken to reduce the systems temperature;

• Elevate the rear, aluminium passive coolers generally work best (I use RainDesign`s mStand & iLap)
    • Increase base fan RPM to 3K or as much as you are comfortable with (MacsFanControl or SMC Fan Control)
    • Limit the dGPU`s usage with gfxCardStatus
    • Swap out Chrome for Chrome Canary as it`s generally more optimised for OS X and will extend battery run time, reduce thermals
    • Swap out VLC for Movist as again it`s a reduced load on CPU/GPU
    • Uninstall or block Flash
    • Install an ad blocker Wipr or AdGuard works well
    • Powered coolers are very much a "mixed bag" when it comes to Mac portables, you need one that has a high capacity (100 CFM minimum) and preferably a large single fan, this can help to keep the 15" internal fans below 4K which for many is good enough as often it`s this point and beyond where the fans become intrusive. Don't expect a powered cooler impact internal temperatures, beyond a couple of degrees
    • Older notebooks can benefit from cleaning of the cooling system
    • Retina`s can benefit from cleaning of the cooling system, as the heat syncs are far smaller and loose efficiency faster, due to build up of dust
    • Replacing the thermal paste has been hit & miss, some with very positive results, some with no improvement over stock. Personally I would only do this on a Mac Portable that was either very old, or one that I can confirm was definitely running hotter than stock.
    • If your MBP has a discrete GPU, it will fire up when an external display is connected as default, temperatures will rise rapidly.
    • Consider a specific vertical stand when using a MPB in "Clamshell" mode allowing for greater circulation of air. Some recommend inverting the MBP in the stand with the exhaust at the top & intake at the bottom (Retina`s)
    • Consider a using a regular circulating fan positioned perpendicular to the MBP
    The key to a quiet life with a 15" MacBook Pro is several incremental changes that do add up to reduce thermals. From my experience over the years if your going to push a 15"/17" hard the fans are going to max out fast, with associated temperature & noise. If your using it with a moderate load life can be made quieter For the most part your MBP runs hot as that`s how Apple designed it, the trade off for form over, function, thin & light...

The old adage still applies; it`s easier to keep a system cool, than cool-down an already overly hot machine. This being said it`s not strictly necessary, equally it`s nice to know that there are some options for reducing temperature out there.

Q-6

19. cmaier macrumors G3

As someone who has owned 5 or 6 15" and 17" MBP's, I will say the 2016 tMBP is remarkably quieter, even with fans on full force, than the previous versions.