Overheating Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cobalt1, Mar 18, 2011.

1. cobalt1 macrumors newbie

My Macbook hits 70+ C when idling. It's elevated and running at 3000 RPM. When I pump it up to 6000 RPM (which is sad that I have to do this), it can still hit up to 85+ C when using CPU intensive programs. However, the GPU also hits the same temperatures which doesn't make sense.

I've had my Macbook for 15 months and I know the fan is weakened since it's making a strange whirring noise. The reason it's probably worn out is because I always had to increase the fans speed to at least 4000 RPM everyday just to have it run without burning my fingers.

What are my options at this point? I cleaned the fans around 4 months ago.
    How much would it cost to have it checked up and have the fan (or other parts) replaced if necessary? Last option would be to sell it on Ebay so how much could I sell it for? Everything else about it is fine.

Specs:
    1.7GB RAM
    Core 2 Duo @2.26 GHz
    Geforce 9400M

2. GGJstudios, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  3. cobalt1 thread starter macrumors newbie

All those discussions are based on the MBP and not the MB, though I don't know if there's a difference. Also my fan wouldn't be making such an awkward noise if it was normal. It's supposed to be quiet from what I remember when I had it for the first 6-8 months.

If the temps were normal, why are macbooks released with a default fan speed of 2000 RPM when it should be a minimum of 3500 RPM? Clearly it has an issue with anything that becomes slightly CPU intensive.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, all those discussions aren't only about the MBP. Read again. The same is true for all Apple portables. If you do anything CPU or GPU intensive, your temps will rise. If temps are sustained at a high level for some time, your fans will spin faster. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your MacBook.

heat???
    The best way to dissipate heat on UB MacBook.
    MB & MBP heat issues?
    Problem with Macbook temperature
    Is my mac too hot?
    Hot, Hotter, mine is the HOTTEST!!!

5. kidnice macrumors newbie

I just bought a fan

I got this fan to lay my Mac on and ever since I got this fan my Mac never over heats I leave it on all day and whenever I come back from where ever I left too the mac is still cool :D By the way I bought it for just $14 at a tech store or discount. Its plastic very light weight I take it everywhere with me in my case.The stores name is called Kiss at 125th street martin luther king blvd no I dont work there but if your in New York thats where to get it from maybe you can find it online (Motorized notebook cooling station) i! :) Problem solved