Overheating only when magsafe connected..Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Electrik, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Electrik macrumors newbie

Electrik

Hi, Im a newb i know, and i have had my mac since august and havnt had a problem till now. Ill keep it short.

Just today i noticed my fans were running at almost 6000 rpm and unusually loud. so i opened the window hoping they would cool but expectedly it failed to solve my problem. anyway I figured out after an hour or so that unplugging it from the magsafe power adapter my cpu and everything inside would cool down and the fans eventually return to around 2000rms. As soon as i plug it back in, its almost instant the temp rises little by little and is in dangerous levels of heat and i am stuck. Please help if you can, I would appreciate it.

I tried apple support but no one working till morning time.

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Is your battery completely charged?

When running on line power (magsafe) your laptop will run faster (and hotter) than on battery power. (where it reduces speed / performance in exchange for battery life)

How well is your laptop breathing? All ports clear and not covered? What are you running for processes? (check your activity monitor)

Is the battery itself getting hot? Though I usually advise against this - try removing your battery, and running on the magsafe alone - see if your heat issue goes away then. If it does, and the battery IS charged - you might have a defective battery - use caution.

3. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i just posted another thread about this on my computer running unusually hot and i noticed yours. so i just unplugged mine to see what would happen and in under a minute the fans went down and it lowered 10 degrees. My computer has be running unusually high around 180 deg f. i'm wondering if this has anything to do with the 10.5.2 update. what are the specs on your machine?

4. Electrik thread starter macrumors newbie

Electrik

Specs

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B02

And my ports are free it sits on a desk all by itself.
    Im checking the battery now, but ill try your little test and see what happens. and my battery was fully charged, not so much anymore considering i have to shut er down to charge.

5. Electrik thread starter macrumors newbie

Electrik

And it is the back portion that is getting hot, not the battery itself. at least not yet anyways.