Overheating or just 'happy fan'?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Praetorian®, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Praetorian® macrumors regular

Praetorian®

Hi,

is there any way I could find out whether my MacBook is overheating or not? It has been repaired recently and there is possibility they screwed something up.

I installed iStat Pro to discover what temperatures are inside and how fast are fans spinning. Here's what it says (when only Safari with MacRumors and Adium are running):

Temperatures:
    Hard Drive 40°C
    CPU 53°C
    Airport Card 68°C (I'm connected over WiFi)
    Enclosure Base 33°C
    Heatsink A 53°C
    Heatsink B 51°C
    Mem Bank A1 50°C
    Northbridge 51°C

Fans:
    Exhaust 1801rpm (when playing flash game on Facebook, it spins about 6000rpm!!!)

My MacBook is early 2008 white revision (more details in my signature).

Can someone please tell me if it's ok or not? I think it is weird when fan is spinning like crazy when only flash game in Safari is running. I haven't been playing these games on Facebook before the reparing, so that's why I don't know if it is normal or not.

Thanks.

2. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

your temperatures are quite normal!

Flash, on the Mac, is actually quite CPU intensive. I'd be surprised if your fans didn't ramp up while playing a Flash game. no worries.

3. Praetorian® thread starter macrumors regular

Praetorian®

Thank you for your quick reply. I've just felt like the fan wasn't spinning that fast before. I'm probably wrong.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Flash is the cause for the fan speed but I don't know if it should go up to 6000RPM?

5. Praetorian® thread starter macrumors regular

Praetorian®

I've had new 15" MacBook Pro for review and someone said to me the fans in it can only run as fast as 5400rpm. That's one of the reasons why I've been worried.

I tried to run HD YouTube video and the fan was running 6200rpm. It sounded like Boeing rolling to runway.

6. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

yeah, Flash can be that intensive. check your CPU usage in Activity Monitor next time you're on YouTube.

and to the OP: that person was incorrect. 6,000 RPM is indeed the correct max speed for your fans :)

edit: I see you said 6,200 as the RPM. regardless, your fans cannot "over-rotate." they will never exceed their max safe RPM.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Meh, I don't know. Without any fan control, generally the fans will only start to spin up at around 70 C but even then it won't spin up to 6000RPM. Maybe it varies between flash applications.

8. Legolai macrumors member

Aha! just coming on here about this and theres an active thread

i have a 2.4 Early 2008 Whitebook, with an Upgraded 4GB Ram and a 320GB Hdd, so havign the same issues as the OP, intensive fans on Flash, certain games on FB, youtube, or a webpage thats flash intensive left in the background for too long, tonight even ive tried using a Flash based streaming service and it actually locked firefox up and i had to force quit it- twice. BUT ive found an anomaly, UK's Channel 4 has an On Demand Catch-up service on their website that is flash based, Except when i run a video on it, the fan barely goes past 2500 RPM, at first i thought it might use Silverlight, but when i checked it asked for the latest version of flash player, So what gives? is it that it's coded better? or have i just found an anomaly. The fans flaring up is a real ballache for me, as i cant remember it doing it when i first got my mac, and the only thing that ramps up my girlfriends unibody is the sims 3. (i know it has the 9400m in it)

so is it that the x3100 cant cope with flash? or is it as badly coded for the mac as i hear? and i actually thought that me upgrading to the 4GB of ram would do the trick, but to be honest i havent really felt a difference from the 2GB that came with it.

9. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Go to Activity Monitor and check/compare CPU usage for firefox-bin between each website, most likely the one that spins up your fan quicker is more cpu intensive. Why you may ask, I have no idea, maybe the video's in higher quality/etc.

10. Praetorian® thread starter macrumors regular

Praetorian®

Sooooo.....I tried to check the CPU usage in Activity Monitor as you said. I watched this video in HD and there was 55-60% of CPU used by User and 15-17% by System. Oh yeah, and iStat Pro keeps telling me the fan is running 6200rpm.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Tested that out. Temperature never goes past 68 C and fans don't rotate past 3500RPM and this is WITH the 9600M GT so temperatures are a bit higher than if I were to use the 9400M. Like the post above me stated, your fans can't over-spin. Be happy that your fans actually work even if I think spinning at 6000RPM is a little too much.

12. Praetorian® thread starter macrumors regular

Praetorian®

My question is: should I send my MacBook to repair center? There is no Apple Store with Genius Bar here in Czech Republic. Only Apple Authorised Service Provider. But it's about the same.

13. Kyeris macrumors 6502

I wouldn't do this yet. Personally to me your results still seem pretty normal. Wait for someone with the same model that you have so you can make an actual comparison.

14. Praetorian® thread starter macrumors regular

Praetorian®

It was my first intention. So...anyone having early 2008 MacBook (2,4GHz, 2GB RAM) who could post temperatures and fan speed or something? Thanks.

15. Legolai macrumors member

Like i said i have an early 2008 Whitebook, 2.4GHz with 4GB of ram, and i got nearly the same results as you

Cpu: 50-70% user 15-20% system CPU temp maxed out at 98'C before the fans started becoming audible at 3500 rpm, then they ramped up to 6200 according to iStat

16. Kyeris macrumors 6502

98'C does seem a little high, you're sure about that?

17. Praetorian® thread starter macrumors regular

Praetorian®

Have you experienced this problem.....lets say.....before installing 10.5.8? I don't know if it could be software issue...

18. Kyeris macrumors 6502

I really don't think a simple software update could have caused that big of a difference.