Overheating problem

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by dipam108, Mar 22, 2015.

1. dipam108 macrumors newbie

I recently installed an OWC data doubler in my Mac Mini 5.1.

Within a month or so, the Mini started overheating. I haven't been able to find any info online about where the heat sensor is or what I should look for as a possible physical problem.

Also, in the process of installing the data doubler I accidentally pulled off the IR sensor coupler attachment. I took it to my local "Mac guy," who soldered it back into place. Could this be related to the overheating problem?

Thanks to all for any suggestions

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Have you looked to see that your fan is actually running? You might also use a fan control program to rev-up the fans so you can hear them actually running without having to open the cover.

It is very easy to damage the fan connector when working inside the Mac Mini.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

What are your symptoms of overheating?

4. Celerondon, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Typo

What exactly did you change on your Mac mini? You installed the OWC Data Doubler but why? What else did you do? Did you swap drives? Or perhaps you installed an SSD in a empty slot?

One possible connection between your problem with the IR sensor and this problem is that the same sort of mistake with another cable/connector could cause an overheating problem. As hfg said, it is very easy to damage things inside of a mini.

I am curious about the answer to chabigs question. What are the overheating symptoms that your mini displays?

5. nate3826 macrumors newbie

nate3826

I'm currently having the same issue with my MBP. CPU is running around 200 degrees with booted from SSD but around 160-170 when booted from the original HDD.