Overheating problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lisa360, Jan 13, 2009.

1. lisa360 macrumors newbie

My Macbook is going nuts. As soon as I turn it on the fan sound is crazy, and it starts at around 70 degrees, nearing 78/9.

Of course it is out of warranty, but I want to take it to my local genius bar.

I have never gone there before. Is the initial appointment free?

Also, just a question....my actual keyboard area of my laptop, sorry I don't know the name of it, but all of the white area (list where my wrists rest on the keyboard..) can that be replaced by apple? The edges of mine have cracked a bit, and I have a lot of scratches and marks on it. It is just cosmetic- something that bothers me and doesn't effect the performance of the laptop, but just curious if it could be replaced.

Thanks!

2. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

I don't know what to tell you about the fan, but all Genius bar appointments are free. Unless, of course you buy a part or send it in to Apple.

3. lisa360 thread starter macrumors newbie

btw, my fan is at like 6212rpm as soon as it is turned on. It won't shutup!

4. lisa360 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry to update again, but my battery life has also switched. when it is fully charged and i unplug it, it only lasts like 1:15hrs now, when before it was near 4hrs.

5. eman macrumors 6502a

Have you used smcfancontrol or temperature monitor software on your macbook? How do you know your fans are spinning at 6200 rpm?

6. lisa360 thread starter macrumors newbie

i downloaded the smcfancontrol and currently it shows it as: 76degrees, with 6204rpm

7. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Is any software using lots of CPU time?

I recently had the printjobmgr process use 100% of one core for a while... Made my MacBook go hot as hell and caused battery life to be cut down to 40%.

8. lisa360 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, i just checked. printjobmgr was using 95% of mine too-- what do i do? force quit the process?

EDIT: It cooled down DRAMATICALLY! Thank you! I am still taking it to the genius bar though, because the fan still acts up from time-to-time when I watch a DVD, etc. on my laptop, which I don't think is normal.

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Its fairly normal for the fans to turn on while DVD watching, especially if you do so in bed/somewhere where the bottom of the computer is insulated.

10. tiagoafsanches macrumors newbie

Macbook 80ºC

[​IMG]

My :apple: macbook sometimes goes up to 78ºC because of some process unknown to me. Does anyone knows what "php" process is? I can't seem to force quit it! I'm just using Adium and uTorrent and it runs perfectly, but sometimes it starts heating and the fan goes to 6200rpm.
    Can this be some kind of virus? I have recently installed Norton on this machine and run the complete checkup. :confused:

I've been a mac user for 10 years and had never seen anything like it!
    Thanks for the help!

Macbook 2GHz Intel Core Duo :: 10.5.6

11. tiagoafsanches macrumors newbie

About that, mine is cracked too, and once it's out of warranty they won't replace it for you. My sisters macbook is still in warranty and they'll replace it for free. I guess it's because of the magnetic system that holds the monitor that macbook's plastic cover breaks. Doesn't look nice... but i can live with it!

12. hlr element macrumors member

they would've replaced it under warranty. I had the same problem, the guy at the store told me it's more likely because of the way you close the macbook. And that commonly, if you are right handed, the crack is there, left handed, opposite side. You take you hand and close the top part and the weight of your hand and the magnet pulling slams the top down and eventually it breaks. I think newer ones have a reenforced metal piece there. Go to the store and see how much it is to replace it. They do it at the store so it can't be that much... it gets really annoying, i know.

13. tiagoafsanches macrumors newbie

Overheating

About the "php" process, can anyone help? It really pisses me off! :mad:

14. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Get a can of compressed air and spray it inside the air vent.
    Over time dust builds up inside

15. tiagoafsanches macrumors newbie

Might not be a bad ideia, but doesn't answer my question.
    Thanks for the tip anyway!