Overheating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gophers2010, Jan 27, 2011.

1. gophers2010 macrumors newbie

I've been noticing my macbook pro seems to be running a little hot lately. It was purchased in June 2010. When I'm doing simple things like word processing or surfing the internet the temp will rise as high as 200F. Activity monitor says theres nothing running in the background taking up CPU. Is this something I should have checked out at the Apple store, or is it a normal occurrence? I use iStat to monitor the temp. Thanks in advance.

2. Resist macrumors 68030

Is this the CPU temperature? But a temperature of 200F is way to hot. Is your computer in a case? What's the room temperature?

3. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Did you select "All Processes" in the drop down at the top of activity monitor?

4. simsaladimbamba

Have a look at Activity Monitor ( Applications / Utilities /) and select All Processesand sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

Or have you already tried the All Processes option?

My CPU only gets to 95° C when rendering something and using the CPU at 100%.

5. gophers2010 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't select "All processess" when checking activity monitor. Once I did I discovered a driver that was eating up CPU. Force quitting that seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the help everyone.

6. Waldszenen macrumors member

On a similar note, does anyone know whether using a Cinema Display will cause the MBP to heat up?

Whenever my Cinema Display is connected my usual CPA A temperature hovers around 76ºC/168ºF, even when all I'm doing is browsing the web (my room temp is usually 28ºC/82ºF as it's summer here); as soon as I unplug it, CPU A drops all the way down to about 30-40ºC (86-104ºF).

Does anyone know why this happens?

7. Resist macrumors 68030

Today I notice my 13" Macbook Pro CPU temp was around 173F, in a 65F room. The internal fan was running and the computer felt very warm on the left side. My MBP has never gotten this hot before. I usually never shut the computer down at night and just let it go into sleep mode. So I completely shut it off, let it cool down and restarted, the temp seems much better now at around 95F. Very strange, not sure what caused the huge jump in heat.

8. simsaladimbamba

173° F is 78.3° C, which is well below 105° C, the temperature limit of these CPUs. It would shut down itself if needed, but not at 78.2° C. My MBP wit a C2D CPU can go up to 95° C while rendering and it is still running.

Anyway, as repetition is needed:
    Have a look at Activity Monitor ( Applications / Utilities /) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

9. Resist, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

Resist macrumors 68030

I realized the temp I experienced was within specs. I was just saying that normally my MBP does not get that hot and I had no reason for this to happen.

I've looked at the Activity Monitor, but am not sure what is supposed to be running and what would have caused the higher temperature jump.

But as I previously stated, after a reboot the temperature significantly was reduced.