overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brassguy98, Nov 12, 2011.

1. brassguy98 macrumors newbie

I have a late 2007 white macbook....When I play streaming Flash videos through wifi the cpu temp jumps up to about 208-210 degrees, airport to about 160 and the fan turns on to maximum. It's REALLY hot.

Over a LAN connection airport turned off, the cpu hovers about 165-180 for streaming Flash

Using ClickToFlash the same video on wifi runs about 180.

Any ideas? Should I consider a new airport card or is it really just the mac not enjoying streaming Flash on WiFi?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The CPU should never reach those temperatures. Mobile Intell Core 2 Duo's have a built in safety switch that shuts them off if they get over 200F.

3. brassguy98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything I've read is that it kicks in at 212. Trying to attach a screenshot to this, hit 207 a moment ago....

Attached Files:

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those temperatures are way, way to high. The fan should start revving up when the CPU is at about 160F and the CPU should never exceed 188F on a properly functioning Macbook3,1 (Your model).

5. brassguy98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kind of what I assumed too. Any suggestions? I bought this new in November 2007, and don't want to spend too much $$ on it as I'll probably replace it in the next year. I have a couple pros I use from work, but obviously need something for personal stuff at home.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Based on the 60+ degree difference between the CPU and the heatsink sensors, I'd say your heatsink grease needs replaced. Your heatsink could even been off of the CPU die by a few millimeters.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature