Overheating

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ipadfreak, Jul 2, 2012.

1. ipadfreak, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

ipadfreak macrumors regular

My iPad 3 has been over heating a lot recently, to the point where it actually hurts to touch and hold it. My brightness was at 75 percent. Is it worth taking it to the genius bar or is there a fix? I don't want a refurbished replacement either.

UPDATE: Ambient temp is around 75 degrees. A ghost armor clear film protector on the back, nothing else. No case of anything. Got hot playing where's my water temple run and twitter, and others.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

A little more info please. Do you have the iPad in a Folio or any other case where the backside is covered? Are you playing any games where the iPad is working a little harder than it should? What's the ambient temp where you use the iPad?

3. ipadfreak thread starter macrumors regular

Just did.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

Games will cause the GPU to work which will increase temps. Hate to say this but i'd take that film protector off. It could be trapping heat. ;)

Remember that aluminum back acts as a heatsink and is cooled by ambient temps. You could be interfering with heat transfer.

5. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

I would take the back off and then see if it still gets that hot. If so, take it to the Apple Store and play with it until it gets warmed up :)

6. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

The first thing you need to do, is get rid of the skin off the back of the device. All that’s doing is making the iPad warm up more.

I don’t believe for a second that it “hurts to touch and hold it”, as the iPad shuts down long before that’s a possibility, even if you were charging the device while using it at maximum screen brightness when playing a game. In fact I'm not sure the A5x could even get that hot.

If your iPad was overheating it would look like this:
    [​IMG]

7. RAWphenom macrumors member

[​IMG]