overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BongoSalas, Feb 28, 2015.

1. BongoSalas macrumors newbie

i play minecraft and use skype at the same time and it says my gpu gets up to 190 degress and my fan is running at 600 is this bad for my computer should i lower the fan or anything?

#4Lyfe

2. matty1551 macrumors 6502

Try a PRAM reset. Right after you turn the computer on hold "Command+Option+P+R"

If you do it correctly the computer will restart itself.

3. BongoSalas thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok but is it bad that my computer is getting that hot or is it normal and i did what you said and its doing better im just wondering

4. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's normal.

Playing MC on my rMBP does the same thing.

Java is just so bloody unoptimized.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're running an app that is working the cpu/gpu so its no surprise that the fans start blasting. My kids use Roblox, which is a mindcraft knock off, and the fans of my computers start blasting shortly after they start playing.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

If your computer doesn't shut down, it's not overheating.

Seeing as you never mentioned it shutting down, your computer has never overheated.

Don't lower your fans, they are doing their job which is extracting heat from your computer so that it doesn't overheat. If you lower your fan speeds, you'll run into throttling problems and you'll eventually actually overheat the machine.

Your temps are 100% normal and within specs. The thing will get up to 221F (I had to actually use the web to convert to retarded farenheit temperatures nobody but the US uses) without issue.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

That`s how Mac`s are as they don't game overly well, they are a thin & light aluminium Notebook`s with some models having significant computing power so they do and will heat up very rapidly.

You can help to reduce the temperature by elevating the tear of the Notebook, passive aluminium stands or just improvise with whats about. The fans can also be set up to spool up sooner and more aggressively with third party software such as Macs Fan Control, however you need to understand the software and it`s impact on the system.

If your using a 15" MBP with discrete GPU I would advise to keep the temperature as low as reasonably possible, as this will go a long way to the Notebook`s longevity.

Q-6

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

This. It's normal for such an unoptimized app, similarly to how playing a simple Flash game can make any rMBP get hot enough to kick on the fans.