Overheating?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mrjynx, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Mrjynx macrumors member

I've had my Macpro since the launch day. It seems to be overheating quite a bit especially when stressing the video card (usually from games).

Any tips suggestions for helping it? I've tried running it with the case cover off which didn't do much. I've blown any dust I could find and it's still crashing.

My guess is the 1900xt is pooched and it's slowly dying. anyone else have similar issues?

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

You should go download a temperature monitoring app, and come back and post the results. Apples products usually are pretty toasty, its no secret, but usually it's not to the point of destruction; however there are exceptions.

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yes try get a temperature monitoring app such as "temperature monitor" That could help us some. As well you could try downloading fan control BUT make certain you download the modified copy posted in these macrumors forums. Not that it will cause damage or anything it just won't work unless you use the mac pro modified version.

4. jroad macrumors member

I have an early Mac Pro and had similar issues with the ATI 1900XT. It was a faulty card, that needed replacement. I wrote more about it in this thread.

5. pprior macrumors 65816

I posted another thread on this topic (didn't see this one) and am getting a replacement ati card.

However I did download the temperature monitor program and I'm shocked (!) at the temps in my mac pro. Mind you, these are at baseline - no apps running up the processors.

Are these what others are seeing??? All temps celcius

Ambient air: 25
    CPU Core: 40
    Hard Drives 32
    Memory Bank A 41-48
    Memory Bank B 40-50 (!)
    Memory Module A1 71 (!!!)
    Northbridge Heat sink 67 (!!)
    Power supply 53

These seem awful high to me, especially ram and northbridge

6. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

i wouldnt leave the cover off while the mac pro is on...unless u have a fan or something blowing air around. the mac pro was designed with the side on, so the air flow is only going to flow where it needs to with the side on.

7. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

the graphics card runs at around 60 degrees c at idle ( when on windows via boot camp) but can reach around 75 when playing demanding games, although the main fans of the mac pro start up then. btw is was clocked then as well (645/792)

8. Mrjynx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. I called applecare and they're sending me out a rev 2 card in the mail. Excellent service, wasn't expecting it to be that easy. I'm eagerly waiting to try it out to see if it eliminates any of my issues.

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

How do i find out which revision i have? under revision in system profiler it says 0x0000

10. Mrjynx thread starter macrumors member

Card showed up yesterday (2day delivery?), I replaced it and now everything that used to crash constantly hasn't crashed once. So problem solved!!

If your not sure what revision your card is call applecare and they can tell you from the serial number.