Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Trying to justify this purchase. Got the 14” mbp 10 core m1 pro with 16gb ram and 1 tb ssd. My thinking was it’s more an investment, the cpu should be good for a while? 1tb ssd just for a little more future proofing? The updated webcam for better video conferencing, obviously the better promotion screen. More importantly I didn’t want the butterfly keyboard issues. I think I could’ve gone with the m1 mba too though. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Ghokun

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2013
It will last you many years and you will be a doctor when you want to upgrade this machine. I have the same one and it is just amazing. I also have 2014 13" which I used for 8 years without any issue.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
It will last you many years and you will be a doctor when you want to upgrade this machine. I have the same one and it is just amazing. I also have 2014 13" which I used for 8 years without any issue.

Thank you. It’s actually for my daughter. I think a mba would’ve been good too but like most fathers I wanted her to be set up for a while at college. She has a 2015 15” mbp she uses now, it’s been old reliable but I think the 14” mbp was good timing. Again especially with the better keyboard.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Hear hear, don't let anyone tell you what you should or should not get. Especially YouTube reviewers telling you it's "madness" to buy a MBP if you're not a pro user. These M1 MBPs will last you for years and years, they're so powerful and good.

Yeah I was seeing conflicting info on yt about it. Like it’d be overkill. But these mbp seem so powerful. Expensive but should last a while.

I took advantage of a Costco sale it was 200 off so this configuration (10 core cpu, 1tb ssd) was 2249. Got applecare plus on it too. I didn’t realize it’s cheaper through Costco? (219 for it vs 279?)

I think applecare plus is worth it. However Costco has a pretty great warranty in itself. So maybe I could’ve held off……..

Reactions: YaBoiD

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Having gone through the same thing myself years ago, I can say don't overbuy too much. You will be getting your daughter (or daughters in my case) another better system in 2 years or less.

I would have let her pick a system or gone with the Air. 13 vs 14" screen is not much difference and for the 1st 2 years of undergrad she will taking more core classes and lugging the thing between classes.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Having gone through the same thing myself years ago, I can say don't overbuy too much. You will be getting your daughter (or daughters in my case) another better system in 2 years or less.

I would have let her pick a system or gone with the Air. 13 vs 14" screen is not much difference and for the 1st 2 years of undergrad she will taking more core classes and lugging the thing between classes.

Yeah I thought about that. Like the motto of buying the base model knowing you could just update in a few years to stay more up to date as tech improves.

I was hoping the M2 Air would’ve been released by now, it would’ve been a harder choice. I bought the 14” with that lugging around in mind too. I looked at the m1 Air 16gb 1 tb ssd models (1649 usd) and I think there wasn’t “enough” of a price difference when I factored in the Costco discounts (got 4%cb using their cc too). Unfortunately Costco didn’t have a mba with 16gb ram n 1 tb ssd.

Idk. I still have 90 days to return it if I need to. I know apple has some long delays on the mbp so I at least wanted something in the hand.

Last edited:

tubuliferous

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
Trying to justify this purchase. Got the 14” mbp 10 core m1 pro with 16gb ram and 1 tb ssd. My thinking was it’s more an investment, the cpu should be good for a while? 1tb ssd just for a little more future proofing? The updated webcam for better video conferencing, obviously the better promotion screen. More importantly I didn’t want the butterfly keyboard issues. I think I could’ve gone with the m1 mba too though. Thoughts?
Yeah! That computer owns. No buyer’s remorse on that one…this computer is a bargain for what you get.

Reactions: Truefan31

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
My daughter has the MBA with 16/1TB. I have the MBP 16 with 32/1TB. They're both great systems but in different ways. The MBP 16 is overkill for me - I don't come close to the CPU and GPU capabilities of this machine. But I just love using it.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I am probably going to upgrade to a base 14" MBP from my 2016 retina MacBook which has served me well. My uses probably call for the air, but I am just not a fan of the design and would rather go for the large screen real estate. It will also be my main machine and I will keep it for many years (depending on what else comes out in the near future).

As someone else said, youtube reviews and people on here advise you that it doesn't warrant your needs. It's your money and your life and a few hundred more depending on your budget doesn't seem like a bad purchase to me.

I am kicking myself for not getting the sale price down from $250 but hoping another one rolls around. Now with the supply chain issues not sure if thats even going to be a possibility anytime soon. I may go for a refurb just to save a bit (my mac now is a refurb, no cosmetic problems and only had a 11 battery cycles, saved $200).

Good luck!

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Trying to justify this purchase
Two quick comments?
  • Before Costco's return period expires, check to see if the university or academic department has any specific requirements for systems, configuration, or software?
  • Apple's educational discounts are well worth checking out, both on apple.com and through the campus bookstore? There may even be a tailored–or in current slang, "curated"–bundle for students available through the university?

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
For a med student, portability might matter more than bleeding edge performance. The MBP 14" is quite a bit chunkier and heavier than the MBAir. Show your daughter both machines and let her decide. For a student machine to be lugged around in a backpack, I'd choose a MBAir.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
What I intended to post was the fact that for a STEM student (outside of CS and Applied mathematics/Physics) the compute is likely overkill, she would most likely gain alot more from an iPad (I know that all the med students that consult with my parents carry one nowadays). But you'd have to consult with her to see whether she has considered the workflow.

And if she starts to do alot of bioimaging or even simulation, I would expect the institution to provide her with more specialized hardware.

You have mentioned the wait for the M2 air, if you ever consider returning the MBP, buy yourself the time to wait for the redesign.

It does bite to buy the latter end of a product design.

Best of luck.

thv

macrumors regular
May 12, 2022
It doesn't seem like total overkill to me and honestly I don't understand the portability argument even with a 16" - it's a laptop. Girls especially are used to carrying bags, trust me. Carrying a few pound laptop in a backpack/shoulder bag is not something to complain about when your dad gets you a MBP.

I had an older MBP, and it lasted me several years. I think it's a great choice. If she wants an air & an ipad/pencil maybe that would be better for her, it depends what she does. But if you're past the return or don't want to wait/have time etc. I really think she'll be happy regardless

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
I am probably going to upgrade to a base 14" MBP from my 2016 retina MacBook which has served me well. My uses probably call for the air, but I am just not a fan of the design and would rather go for the large screen real estate. It will also be my main machine and I will keep it for many years (depending on what else comes out in the near future).

As someone else said, youtube reviews and people on here advise you that it doesn't warrant your needs. It's your money and your life and a few hundred more depending on your budget doesn't seem like a bad purchase to me.

I am kicking myself for not getting the sale price down from $250 but hoping another one rolls around. Now with the supply chain issues not sure if thats even going to be a possibility anytime soon. I may go for a refurb just to save a bit (my mac now is a refurb, no cosmetic problems and only had a 11 battery cycles, saved $200).

Good luck!

Yeah I tried looking at refurbs on apple but they didn’t show any 14” mbp. And it looks like there’s quite a wait shipping wise. That pushed me to get in on the Costco deal with the 200 discount.

Reactions: Eggtastic

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Two quick comments?
  • Before Costco's return period expires, check to see if the university or academic department has any specific requirements for systems, configuration, or software?
  • Apple's educational discounts are well worth checking out, both on apple.com and through the campus bookstore? There may even be a tailored–or in current slang, "curated"–bundle for students available through the university?

That’s a good idea. I didn’t think about their bookstore. Yeah I guess it’s nice I have 90 days to return it if I want.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
For a med student, portability might matter more than bleeding edge performance. The MBP 14" is quite a bit chunkier and heavier than the MBAir. Show your daughter both machines and let her decide. For a student machine to be lugged around in a backpack, I'd choose a MBAir.

Good idea. I know she’s coming from the 2015 15” mbp so I imagine the 14” mbp will feel more portable. But yeah I totally get maybe choosing the mba. I guess me being a tech enthusiast I’m hung up on the 120hz screen and better webcam, things I would want lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.