Overkill / Will it last?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacMarf, May 11, 2010.

1. MacMarf macrumors member

So I'm going to take a new study in Multimedia design in like 1,5 years. But I do need a new notebook, Siemens amilo with 512Mb ram can't really multitask photoshop and 3Ds max.

So I was going for the i7 17 inch macbook pro. I love big screens and performance, I've been using windows for over 10 years now, but want to take the jump. I was wondering if this new MBp will last me 5 years, and if it will be able to run CS5, all the newer series of programs's for the next 5 years. I really need to keep up with the class, slower loading time's is not something I like.
    So, is the Macbook Pro, 17" 2.8Ghz Overkill? And will I still be able to sell it after like, 4 - 5 years for a decent price?

Thanks!

2. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    Yes in my opinion. Especially if you get a SSD and up the RAM

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"Probably" and "yes",

Most likely, impossible for anyone to say for sure though.

Depends on what comes out between now and then, and what your definition of "decent" is. Good advice would be to worry about it then. Buying a computer for resale value x amount of time in the future is pointless.

4. MacMarf thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thanks! And was going for the 8GB RAM. (4 x 2)

5. gotzero macrumors 68040

No computer is truly futureproof. It is very likely that you will need high end hardware five years from now to run high end software five years from now. Five year old macs now will not even run the current OS...

Computing power is never a one-time purchase. The computer you get now will run CS5 the same way until it kicks...

6. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

You should be fine to run CS5, and use the stuff you'll need for a multimedia career.

5 years from now, it will be worth 20% of what you pay now basically.

I'd recommend to keep a computer for 12-18 months and sell it. That way you can try to keep up with technology.

I can say that 2 years from now, something so much better will be out there that you won't even want to touch the computer you bought now.

Unfortunately, computers will never be future proof.

7. candamo macrumors newbie

5 years its A LOT of time. By that time there will be processors capable of 3x or 4x the speeds of the stuff we got now. Your computer will be almost totally outdated and the resale price would be practically nothing.

I would get a i5/i7 15" with the high def option and grab a big display if you need it.

If money is not a problem go for the 17" i7. :D